PTZ + fixed cameras - expansion recommendations

war4peace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would like to add a few cameras to my surveillance setup, and I am looking for advice.
Three cameras to be added. I only look for two brands, which I already own and I am satisfied with: Dahua and Hikvision. All cameras should be PoE, infrastructure is already in place (CAT7 cabling, PoE switch, etc)

1. Garage camera - PTZ, I already own a Hikvision DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 (located in my workshop), it is a decent one, but if there's a better variant out there, I'll take it. Purpose: monitor static object (car), monitor side door, alert when car is no longer in garage, if garage is empty, monitor automatic door to be closed. I will setup automations. Budget: $500, but if there's a great camera for slightly more, it's not a problem.
2. External camera, surveillance of street in front of the house, looking along side street towards T-junction with main street. Preferably 4K, no zoom needed. I already own a camera monitoring courtyard, which is Dahua WizSense IPC-HFW3841E-AS-0280B, which is decent, but I was looking at the DS-2CD2T86G2-2I(2.8mm)(C), which is newer. It also needs to have tamper alert, if possible. Budget: same as above, $500, maybe a bit more if worth it.
3. This is where things get tricky. I am looking for a PTZ Speed Dome external camera overlooking the front fence and gate, it would sit about 12 feet (4m) high, on a special post, it needs to be wide angle with ability to quickly zoom 2x or 3x to where movement is detected. There is someone who keeps stealing flowers from our front garden area, and I want to be able to catch them on camera. I plan to set up quite a few monitoring zones (up to 10), and record every time there is movement in them. Missing object alerts as well. Tampering alerts as well, of course. Main problem with choosing the right camera seems the minimum focal length. There are very few Speed Dome PTZ cameras with wide angle, most of them start at 4.8mm, which is way too zoomed in for my needs. Another problem: the camera will be located in an area with full sunlight, which means it's going to get really hot during summer. With that being said, 4K cameras of this type seem to be prohibitively expensive, therefore I am ready to settle for a 4 MPx camera. After looking for what might fit my needs, I found the Dahua SD3A405-GN-PV1, which seems to check all requirements. Another option would be the Dahua SD3E405DB-GNY-A-PV1, but again, I am open to alternatives. For this one, since it's quite important, I am willing to spend up to $1000.

Another thing to probably take into consideration is I live in the EU, therefore I'd rather be able to buy something from the EU, than have to pay import taxes. But... as usual, if something is really worth it and can't be bought "locally", so-to-speak, I am not against ordering from abroad.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations!

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When you say camera is 'decent', are you maybe a bit underwhelmed with night time image?
If that's the case, you need to look at your megapixels / sensor ratios. 8 MP on a 1/2.8" sensor is not optimal. More info: ColorVU versus the Dark Fighter options?
A 2MP with 1/2.8" will make better night images than a 8MP on a 1/2.8" as it needs way less light to make the same image.
Search for some posts from @wittaj on this subject. I also started with the "4k everything" mindset but quickly realized many (most?) 4k cameras have tiny sensors which are only good for daytime images and suck at night - and most crime is done at night.

As for your wide angle problem, maybe you could use a few 2mp spotter cams that cover a wider area to trigger your single PTZ? Video of how my spotter cam's IVS rules call my PTZ to auto-track.

I don't have any specific models of ipcams to recommend, just wanted to bring up those 2 points.

war4peace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
"Decent" means it works well, I really don't have complaints, and night image is great, as a matter of fact. I have attached a screenshot of the camera from Blue Iris, there's enough ambient light even at night that the camera doesn't use IR any more. Densely populated area and stuff.
Always looking for something better, though:)
Good suggestion about using other cameras to trigger PTZ. The thought hasn't occurred to me, although it seems obvious now.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any camera can make a great color image of a static field of view by slowing down the shutter and cranking up the gain.

Based on that image, it appears to me that the gain is cranked up.

Because of that, motion would be a complete blur - so what does the image look like with someone walking thru?

war4peace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any camera can make a great color image of a static field of view by slowing down the shutter and cranking up the gain.

Based on that image, it appears to me that the gain is cranked up.

Because of that, motion would be a complete blur - so what does the image look like with someone walking thru?
That's a static snapshot of me.
Image settings are all on auto.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that's a blur LOL. You know that is you, but if it were a complete stranger, it would be tough for the police to use the image.

Can you do a manual shutter speed of say 1/60s or 1/120s and see what happens?

war4peace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the hint. For now, I have set the shutter at 1/60 and maximum gain at 50, the image obviously became much darker, but still light enough to distinguish required features.
At the same time, I updated my roof camera with similar settings, which enabled IR on it as well, helping with the 4K camera quality, because IR floodlights intersect.
Now I am also thinking about adding standalone IR lights:)
I will update with a snapshot the next time I walk through the courtyard.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah it is a tradeoff - the faster the shutter, the more light is needed. But it is the faster shutters that get the clean images of motion.