PTZ Default or Native Position

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there some guide or tutorial on how to manage cameras with PTZ positions?

I created some cameras with sensor movement, and they work, but of course, this only works for a fixed position I have set. I'm not that far yet into the exploring the changing profiles to activate or deactivate motion when they are moved or with different schedules since I'm trying to do things in baby steps.

My most basic question is: Should I set PTZ default position on Blue Iris or the camera software? Assuming if this is possible for Blue Iris. For example, I want to be able to click a default position for those cameras, and they will automatically move exactly to that position. Or make that the default when they reboot, lose power, or just when a profile is set. Basically have a default I can use for now before exploring into other settings in other positions since getting the camera exactly right to create the movement in the motion sensor is quite tricky, it would be preferred to be able to set to that position automatically.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll setup the preset positions in your PTZ's settings then afterward you will have BI read in those PTZ presets using Video > Configure > Find/Inspect. I set up Preset 1 on my PTZ to be the powerup location which is where I like to keep it parked most of the time.

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
Doesn't that setting reset your camera motion settings as well? I remember using that Find inspects on an existing camera and I had to recreate all my motion sensor settings again.

So the PTZ settings are created on the camera side backend then? I had the impression, since BI can already control the movement of the camera, it could also save the numbers or positions on its own database and recreate that movement as a default position set independently of the camera settings.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Doesn't that setting reset your camera motion settings as well? I remember using that Find inspects on an existing camera and I had to recreate all my motion sensor settings again.

So the PTZ settings are created on the camera side backend then? I had the impression, since BI can already control the movement of the camera, it could also save the numbers or positions on its own database and recreate that movement as a default position set independently of the camera settings.
What make and model PTZ do you have? I'm familiar with the Dahua 4MP SD49425XB-HNR and it's lower resolution 2MP twin.