PTZ cam with as good optics or better as IPC-T5442T-EZ.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am looking for a PTZ cam with as good or better optics as IPC-T5442T-EZ. What recommendations does anyone have for this? Thanks.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is the 2nd one you listed better, or just the same as the first ptz you listed? Quite a difference in price for sure.
I guess when I mean better, I mean is it $1500 better in your opinion? I'll do some looking, but I don't know I could justify that price unless there was something special it could do.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 2nd one listed is WAY better. Much larger sensor. Ton more IR. Longer range.

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also keep an eye on the minimal focal length. I need a 2.8 mm focal length, found that out the hard way.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@ingeborgdot Just in case it's not obvious, even though these PTZ are excellent, they are significantly larger than IPC-T5442T-EZ. Keep that in mind for your use case.
I understand the size difference. I have a PTZ and have installed several others for other people. I have a friend that I put some cameras up for that is a quadriplegic. I installed cameras for him and several were PTZ. He likes to check on things, and found he really likes the PTZ cameras because he can move them around and see what is going on in all locations without having to switch to a different camera. I told him about just maybe adding more cameras to make up for the areas, but he says it is not the same to him.
Since he is my friend and a quadriplegic, I want to make sure he gets some satisfaction out of things he can enjoy.
I told him that in order for the PTZ to be as good of quality as the 5442, it would cost much more if it were going to be a good PTZ.
That is why I'm checking on a PTZ. I was just hoping there was going to be something that was as good if not better, that wasn't $2300 like the monster PTZ. I came on here because people that are members know more than 99.9% of the world about cameras and are very up to the moment in the newest and best thing.
Thanks.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Cost is not really going to be important. He can afford them, I just want to get the best bang for the buck for him as well. We need it to be a good heavy duty ptz, and be able to take a lot of wind etc. It will be up about 15' so I'm thinking more in the line of ones listed above, but I'll keep on looking.
Thanks so much for your response. It is greatly appreciated. That is why I tell people that this forum is the best because of the great people on here, and that is even including fenderman.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cost is not really going to be important. He can afford them, I just want to get the best bang for the buck for him as well. We need it to be a good heavy duty ptz, and be able to take a lot of wind etc. It will be up about 15' so I'm thinking more in the line of ones listed above, but I'll keep on looking.
Thanks so much for your response. It is greatly appreciated. That is why I tell people that this forum is the best because of the great people on here, and that is even including fenderman.
If money is non issue, the giant size of the ptz is non issue, then the EmpireTech 8MP 45x PTZ SD8C845FG-HNF linked above by wittaj will be a great camera day and night with high quality video and 45X zoom.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'll check with him and see which one he wants. He may want some of the larger ones at his bin sites so he can see better at night and be able to zoom in better. He had some anhydrous stolen out of his tank out at his site. It won't stop people from doing it, but it may help in seeing who is out there. Thanks for your time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Calling @Robertomcat and his monster PTZ

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

That is exactly the camera that would work for another project that he wants. He has a leg on a bin that is 100' in the air. He wants to have a PTZ up on top that can scan 360 deg. I couldn't think of anything that would do what he wanted that would not have part of the view blocked, but if it sits like that PTZ does, that will be perfect. I'll have to look into it and see.
Thanks so much for the link.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

But, it doesn't look like is going to be easy to buy??? I can't seem to find who is selling it.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
For what case you need 2.8mm ?

I thought only novice buy 2.8mm??
I have plenty of 2.8mm fixed units, but they were purchased for a purpose.

Depending on the install location of a PTZ you may want to be able to go lower than a 4-5mm focal length.