Proper recording / motion settings for blizzards?

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, I just got my BI v5 setup with a bunch of cameras last night. Really appreciate the how-to for consuming less CPU. Extremely valuable while I wait for a firesale on servers to happen =)

Of course last night there was a blizzard so I have hours of recordings from multiple outside cameras with snow blowing across the screen. I searched in the forum for snow and blizzard but didn't see any immediate settings to counteract this. I am sure this is a problem someone has solved. Could someone point me to the right thread that can show me how to tweak my setup for being able to identify and record things of interest without wasting disk space on blowing snow?

Thank you.

Matthew Craig

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This can be the same with rain, usually I have zone crossing set up and just record continuously because it obviously can be unreliable sometimes. Zone crossing usually gets the job done for high traffic areas, yet again you may just need a profile to disable triggering all together when these things happen, most of your footage will be unusable if anything happens imo.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Best thing you can do is turn off the cameras' IR lights at night and install external lighting--either white visible light or IR. And as Matt said, you can further eliminate false alarms by using filtering such as zone crossing, IVS (depending on your cameras), Blue Iris settings such as object detection (Object travels (pixels) and Object size exceeds).

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
OK thanks. I just started playing with object detection as my cameras aren't picking up cars and other large objects to trigger a recording. But, the clouds pass over and motion triggers the recording. Quite frustrating =)