Problems with LOREX Nocturnal 4K 16-Cam System after Power Surge

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
in general, many NVRs PoE ports are not designed to have a switch downstream .. thus the diagram ..
That's what I was wondering. If the NVR POE ports were even designed to handle a switch?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No the POE ports of the NVR are not designed to handle a switch (although some have got it to work). The proper way is to connect the LAN/WAN port of the NVR to the switch.

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No the POE ports of the NVR are not designed to handle a switch (although some have got it to work). The proper way is to connect the LAN/WAN port of the NVR to the switch.
I just did a device search and it came up with one camera, I'm assuming that's the down camera. When I tried to add it to the system it said, "Please remove a device first, there is no free digital channel now!". It says that if I click the Add button or the Manual Add button. I also noticed the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway on the camera found are all the same numbers, 239.255.42.42. but on the monitor in the blank square it says, "192.168.0.236 Can not find network search".

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The ip address of the NVR is usually 192.168.0.x....... Mask is 255.255.255.0 for a class C address.........gateway will be an IP associated with the router usually 192.168.0.1

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
of course if your Apartment has an IT admin.....then they may have other network addresses in play........

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
of course if your Apartment has an IT admin.....then they may have other network addresses in play........
No IT admin. So if I change the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway to 192.168.0.1 but leave the IP address at 239.255.42.42 then it should work?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just did a device search and it came up with one camera, I'm assuming that's the down camera. When I tried to add it to the system it said, "Please remove a device first, there is no free digital channel now!". It says that if I click the Add button or the Manual Add button. I also noticed the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway on the camera found are all the same numbers, 239.255.42.42. but on the monitor in the blank square it says, "192.168.0.236 Can not find network search".
I wonder if the surge somehow messed up the NVR to think it has less channels that it does? One usually gets that error if they try to add more cameras than the NVR is designed for.

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wonder if the surge somehow messed up the NVR to think it has less channels that it does? One usually gets that error if they try to add more cameras than the NVR is designed for.
I'm sure that's possible but I'm leaning towards it being a bad channel on the switch or a bad camera. That's more of a guess than anything, lol. When I tried to do another "Device Search" it came up with no results, no matter how many times I hit the button or how long I waited it came up with nothing but the other 3 cameras on the switch still work fine. The cable and connectors are also fine so I guess my next attempt will be to switch around a couple cameras on the switch and see if they come up or if they have IP conflicts? Or if I do have a bad channel on the switch I'm wondering if it could fry a camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The "please remove a device/bad channel" is an NVR issue. It would not get that error from an external switch issue.

Now what it could be is that the NVR already has all the channels allocated and you may need to delete the problem channel so that you can add the camera back.

So let's say as an example that it is a 4 channel NVR that had 4 cameras connected. Power surge wipes out settings to 4th camera but the NVR still has it registered to that channel so it comes up black. But you see cameras on channels 1,2,3. So delete camera 4 in NVR and then add it back.

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The "please remove a device/bad channel" is an NVR issue. It would not get that error from an external switch issue.

Now what it could be is that the NVR already has all the channels allocated and you may need to delete the problem channel so that you can add the camera back.

So let's say as an example that it is a 4 channel NVR that had 4 cameras connected. Power surge wipes out settings to 4th camera but the NVR still has it registered to that channel so it comes up black. But you see cameras on channels 1,2,3. So delete camera 4 in NVR and then add it back.
That makes perfect since but out of 16 channels on the NVR I only have 12 cameras physically plugged into it, the other 4 are on the switch which includes the down camera.. It's an 8 channel switch but not sure how to delete a switch channel or if that's even possible?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So is this the thread you're posting in now? FWIW I left a reply to you in the other 1 here.
Maybe you should delete the other thread, it's shorter.

bobross

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also, try and press the physical reset button on the affected cameras to factory reset them.

Hold reset button 10 sec -> unplug PoE while still holding button wait 10 sec -> plug back in PoE keep holding for another 10 sec -> release button.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That makes perfect since but out of 16 channels on the NVR I only have 12 cameras physically plugged into it, the other 4 are on the switch which includes the down camera.. It's an 8 channel switch but not sure how to delete a switch channel or if that's even possible?
So you have a 16 channel NVR with 12 of the POE ports on the NVR being used PLUS 4 that are attached to a switch. That is 16 channels being used on a 16 channel NVR.

You can do nothing about the switch - it either is providing power or it isn't. This isn't where you delete the channel.

It is the NVR that is spitting out the error. That is where you need to delete a channel. For some reason the NVR is not recognizing that 16th camera as the one connected to it.

So you had 16 cameras and 15 are working? Which ever channel isn't working in the NVR - delete that channel. Then see if you can add that 16th camera back.

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So you have a 16 channel NVR with 12 of the POE ports on the NVR being used PLUS 4 that are attached to a switch. That is 16 channels being used on a 16 channel NVR.

You can do nothing about the switch - it either is providing power or it isn't. This isn't where you delete the channel.

It is the NVR that is spitting out the error. That is where you need to delete a channel. For some reason the NVR is not recognizing that 16th camera as the one connected to it.

So you had 16 cameras and 15 are working? Which ever channel isn't working in the NVR - delete that channel. Then see if you can add that 16th camera back.
Cameras 1 - 9 and 14 - 16 are plugged into the NVR, cameras 10 - 13 are plugged into the switch then the switch is plugged into the router so there's actually 4 free channels on the back of the NVR but the camera that is down is camera 12 that's plugged into the switch. Now can I delete channel 12 on the NVR and expect the NVR to fill that spot with the down camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But they are not free channels as the NVR can only accept 16 cameras total whether they are on a separate switch or the back of the NVR. Internally channels 10-13 are assigned to those channels.

Yes, so if it is Channel 12 that is the missing camera, unplug the camera from the router and then delete channel 12 from the NVR and then plug the camera back into the external switch and try to add it manually using whatever IP address you have assigned to it.

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But they are not free channels as the NVR can only accept 16 cameras total whether they are on a separate switch or the back of the NVR. Internally channels 10-13 are assigned to those channels.

Yes, so if it is Channel 12 that is the missing camera, unplug the camera from the router and then delete channel 12 from the NVR and then plug the camera back into the external switch and try to add it manually using whatever IP address you have assigned to it.
Excellent advice, now when I plug the switch back in will the router automatically assign all new IP addresses to the 4 cameras, (10 - 13) or will I need to assign new ones manually?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent advice, now when I plug the switch back in will the router automatically assign all new IP addresses to the 4 cameras, (10 - 13) or will I need to assign new ones manually?
You should be manually assigning static IP addresses to the cameras on the external switch by logging into the camera GUI and assigning them.

If the router is assigning those 4 cameras IP addresses, then that could be the problem because it probably changed the IP address based on when it sees a device on the router.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should be manually assigning static IP addresses to the cameras on the external switch by logging into the camera GUI and assigning them.

If the router is assigning those 4 cameras IP addresses, then that could be the problem because it probably changed the IP address based on when it sees a device on the router.
+1^^.
Pretty much what I asked the OP 4 hours ago here on his other thread:
"Did any of the 4 domes plugged into the switch that went to the router have unique static IP's ? "
:cool:

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I finally figured it out, thanks to all of you. After getting the error message...."Please remove a device first, there is no free digital channel now".... every time I did a "Device Search" I unplugged the switch from the router, plugged it back in and it only found the 3 cameras so I unplugged it again but this time I deleted channel 12, (removing IP, mask & gateway) before plugging it back in and when I did it found all 4 cameras, 10 - 13. I didn't have to manually add the IP, mask or gateway, it did it itself so I'm definitely happy now, well until another power surge, lol.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't have to manually add the IP, mask or gateway, it did it itself so I'm definitely happy now, well until another power surge, lol.
Two questions:
  • When your issue started "Did any of the 4 domes plugged into the switch that went to the router have unique static IP's ? "
  • Or have you now assigned unique static IP's?