Problems with LOREX Nocturnal 4K 16-Cam System after Power Surge

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My Lorex Nocturnal 4K 16-Channel 4TB Wired NVR System with Smart IP Dome Cameras encountered a problem after a "power surge". I have power surge in quotation marks because I'm not 100% sure that's what caused the problem but that's what I was told from a not so reliable source, lol. The problem is one of the cams plugged into the POE switch quit working, supposedly the power surge occurred and the system shut down, after rebooting itself one cam was not working. I've replaced the connectors at the cam and POE switch so how likely is it that the power surge fried the cam or one of the POE ports on the switch or can it be an NVR issue?

1669644655916.png

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is certainly possible. Do you have an open port that you could try the camera on another port to see if it is the POE or the camera?

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is certainly possible. Do you have an open port that you could try the camera on another port to see if it is the POE or the camera?
I do and I will try that shortly. When I checked the POE switch the amber light was on all the ports, two cams had the green light on but 3 cams worked, if that made any sense?

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I plugged the camera into another port and nothing. Doesn't the NVR need to assign an IP address to which ever port a cam is plugged into? For instance, if I took the cam thats plugged into port 3 and plugged it into port 4 the NVR wouldnt recognize the cam because port 4 doesn't have a IP address? Resetting the POE switch should assign IP addresses to to correct ports but I'm kinda hesitant on resetting because I had a hard time setting that switch up in the first place so not sure what to do?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you did something crazy and didn't just plug-n-play, then when you move the camera to a port that wasn't used, it will either pick up or assign the camera an IP address.

You are calling it a POE Switch, but you mean the POE ports on the back of the NVR correct?

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unless you did something crazy and didn't just plug-n-play, then when you move the camera to a port that wasn't used, it will either pick up or assign the camera an IP address.

You are calling it a POE Switch, but you mean the POE ports on the back of the NVR correct?
No, I have 4 cams plugged into a switch (POE) I guess and I have the one data cable from the switch plugged into the NVR along with 12 other cams plugged directly into the NVR, so I have 3 unused ports on the back of the NVR.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh OK so the POE switch doesn't assign IP addresses. You would have to manually add the camera to the NVR.

Does that camera have infrared and if so do you see the red glow when looking at the camera at night?

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh OK so the POE switch doesn't assign IP addresses. You would have to manually add the camera to the NVR.

Does that camera have infrared and if so do you see the red glow when looking at the camera at night?
Thats where I'm having issues, manually adding the cam. I did a search, not sure if I did it correctly but none of the cams plugged into the switch came up on the search but 3 of the cams are working. I'm not at the site right now to see if the IRs are glowing, actually I'm never there at night so that would be a challenge but I'll definitely focus on trying to figure out the manual installation tomorrow.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - lorex link shows this kit as the one discussed ( Dahua OEM )

1669702995741.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, this is the system I bought, I didn't realize Lorex and Dahua was the same thing. So how do I manually add the cam thats plugged into the switch? I attached a schematic of the system.

see modified image ..

in the software there is a manual add option in the NVR .. most of us set the static IPs on the cameras, or DHCP reserved IPs for the mac addresses ..

security-cameras-nvr-poe-switch.png

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
see modified image ..

in the software there is a manual add option in the NVR .. most of us set the static IPs on the cameras, or DHCP reserved IPs for the mac addresses ..

View attachment 146880
No kidding? I only have the one uplink cable running from the switch to one of the 16 channels on the back of the NVR then one cable from the NVR network plug to the router. Your modification says I need to unplug the uplink cable that's plugged into one of the 16 channels and plug it into the network plug of the NVR and run a new cable from the switch to the router? If that's correct how did it work in the first place when I only have one cable running from the switch?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The cam you bounced around to another port should have started working .......If not....it then would have to show up in the "device search" result as a detected Ip device.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
you can probably kill another camera by plugging it into the death port...........so probably don'tdo that...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep that is why I suggested trying different ports and then also seeing if the camera IR comes on at night to try to figure out if it is a Port or camera that went out.

Yep, I have TPLink 8 port POE switch that over time is down to one working POE port.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No kidding? I only have the one uplink cable running from the switch to one of the 16 channels on the back of the NVR then one cable from the NVR network plug to the router. Your modification says I need to unplug the uplink cable that's plugged into one of the 16 channels and plug it into the network plug of the NVR and run a new cable from the switch to the router? If that's correct how did it work in the first place when I only have one cable running from the switch?
in general, many NVRs PoE ports are not designed to have a switch downstream .. thus the diagram ..