Problems with 2 IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras

gzn

n3wb
Reaction score
First of all, I'm new here. Recently I bought 2 Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras. I configured them using a DC Power supply 12V 1.8A (positive center) and a straight ethernet cable, initializing them in 192.168.1.108 and changing from static ip to dhcp. They were working fine until I turned off them (putting out the power supplies) and now I can't see them neither in the dynamic IP nor 192.168.1.108. I opened one of them trying to apply a factory reset but I cannot find the button.

1- What could happened?
2- Where is the factory reset button in this model?

Reaction score
Perhaps they obtained a different dynamic IP address when you restarted them? If I don't use my router's DHCP client status page, I use AngryZiber's Angry IP Scanner or Fing to find devices on my network. What's advisable is to reserve/configure a specific IP address in your router's DHCP server, using the MAC address of each camera. This way, the camera thinks it's DHCP, but the router says, "always give MAC address AA:BB:CC:\DD:EE:FF the IP address 192.168.1.nnn".

gzn

n3wb
Reaction score
My router give them dynamic ip addresses and everything was fine until I put off the power supplies. Then when I tried to put them online again I cannot see any network activity scanning with wireshark. I suspect that maybe is a power problem (no IR lights when I cover them), that is why I was asking for a factor y reset

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My router give them dynamic ip addresses and everything was fine until I put off the power supplies. Then when I tried to put them online again I cannot see any network activity scanning with wireshark. I suspect that maybe is a power problem (no IR lights when I cover them), that is why I was asking for a factor y reset
Its a power problem. Are you trying to power it over a longer cable now?
Use a poe switch.

gzn

n3wb
Reaction score
Its a power problem. Are you trying to power it over a longer cable now?
Use a poe switch.
I dont have a poe switch at the moment, just a DC power supply 12v, it has a 1 meter wire so I dont understand what could happened if I configured them eith the same unit.

Could I burned them when i just pulled off the power supply the last time? Maybe a broken configuration state? Factory reset?

Last edited:

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Start small, don't automatically presume the world has ended.

Have you checked the 12V supplies are still providing 12V at the plugs to the camera connectors?

gzn

n3wb
Reaction score
Start small, don't automatically presume the world has ended.

Have you checked the 12V supplies are still providing 12V at the plugs to the camera connectors?
Yes, it provides ~ 12.3V, even I tested with another one and the problem continues, thats why I presume the cameras are the problem

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok.

Was there a power surge or lightning nearby or?

Unless something like that happened for me it seems unlikely both cameras would fail at the same time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it provides ~ 12.3V, even I tested with another one and the problem continues, thats why I presume the cameras are the problem
It is impossible to have two cameras fail like that at the same time. Time to tell us what really happened.

gzn

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok.

Was there a power surge or lightning nearby or?

Unless something like that happened for me it seems unlikely both cameras would fail at the same time.
No voltage variation, no lightning,
It is impossible to have two cameras fail like that at the same time. Time to tell us what really happened.
Tomorrow i will buy poe power injectors to try that option.

gzn

n3wb
Reaction score
Today I bought 2 poe injectors and I found the reset button behind the sd card slot. Holding the button for a few seconds I finally did reset them. Now using the poe injectors the cameras keep the configuration between shutdowns and startups. Very odd indeed.

HoosierD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The way I read your post, you used an external power source to configure and set DHCP, then unplugged the external power source and the cameras stopped working. Without POE or the external power source, would you expect the cameras to work? Are you saying they don't work with the external power applied?

gzn

n3wb
Reaction score
The way I read your post, you used an external power source to configure and set DHCP, then unplugged the external power source and the cameras stopped working. Without POE or the external power source, would you expect the cameras to work? Are you saying they don't work with the external power applied?
When I bought the cameras I just had DC power supplies. Then, when I configured (saving of course) and connected them to use my router I plugged out and plugged in the power and the cameras did not work (non IR light at night), so I supposed that was a power problem, they "seem" bricked. Then, I bought poe injectors and opened justo one of them to apply a factory reset. Funny, the opened one and the "bricked" one worked correctly with the poe injectors, so maybe the problem was a faulty power supply (I tried 2) I dont know.

The case is that both cameras are working great now with the poe injectors and I dont want to recreate the escenario were they failed. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: