Problems viewing through app

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 3 different brands of camera installed at my office.

I can view others using apps when out of network, but I can only view the Dahua cameras when I am in the same network. Do the Dahua cameras require more bandwith than other cameras? How might I solve this?

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Could you give us a little more information? How are you trying to view the Dahua camera's when out of office: P2P, VPN, something else? Did you scan a QR code in DMSS or did you enter an IP address?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Echoing the comments of @jarrow, more information is required. You claim 3 different brands of cameras, yet only identify one. Then you ask if it is different from the other two mystery brands.

Does your office have an IT presence? If so, they might have the information regarding camera access you are looking for.

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could you give us a little more information? How are you trying to view the Dahua camera's when out of office: P2P, VPN, something else? Did you scan a QR code in DMSS or did you enter an IP address?
Entered the IP Address in the DMSS app. No P2P, VPN etc. I do not have this problem with my home cameras, only the office. Therefore it is unlikely to be the way I set-up the app.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The external IP address or the LAN IP address (192.168.x.x)? If the latter, it won't work at all outside the network because you simply aren't on that network.

The first option will only work if you port forward port 37777 (which I don't recommend). It could be that in your home you have UPnP enabled, which means the NVR could've opened the port(s) by itself, again not recommended.

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The external IP address or the LAN IP address (192.168.x.x)? If the latter, it won't work at all outside the network because you simply aren't on that network.

The first option will only work if you port forward port 37777 (which I don't recommend). It could be that in your home you have UPnP enabled, which means the NVR could've opened the port(s) by itself, again not recommended.
The cameras are not going through an Nvr to connect at either location. App straight to camera. I am using the LAN IP address. And yes, it does work externally using the Dmss app for my home cameras, just not for my office.
This is the confusing part. Cameras at both locations are configured the same. But only the house cameras work for external viewing.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With the information you provided, that's technically impossible. You can't connect to a local network without being connected to its wifi or a VPN.

Could you post a screenshot of the settings page of the home camera('s) by clicking the three dots, 'Details device' and then the square with the pencil in it at the top right corner, without showing any public IP address or serial numbers?

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With the information you provided, that's technically impossible. You can't connect to a local network without being connected to its wifi or a VPN.

Could you post a screenshot of the settings page of the home camera('s) by clicking the three dots, 'Details device' and then the square with the pencil in it at the top right corner, without showing any public IP address or serial numbers?
Per my understanding. The DMSS app works with a P2P function. You have to enable it in the camera settings. Does this help?
Will investigate more when I can return to the office.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes that'll work, although a VPN is recommended.
If you check under Network -> P2P in the cam, it should be shown as 'Online' if you checked the box. If not, there is something else wrong with your settings, either in the cam or in the router.

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I
Yes that'll work, although a VPN is recommended.
If you check under Network -> P2P in the cam, it should be shown as 'Online' if you checked the box. If not, there is something else wrong with your settings, either in the cam or in the router.
Thank you,
I cannot figure it out. I have all of the settings for the cameras at the house and office the same. I can view a 5mp Hikvision camera through its app, but cannot view the 4mp Dahua with its app out of network even at lowest setting. 2 Dahua cams, same problem.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The above would still be useful. Without more information we can't help.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Exactly, there lies your problem. You can try to add the office cams via the QR code if you want to view them the same way as your home cams, but again: we recommend setting up a proper VPN like most of us here.

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Exactly, there lies your problem. You can try to add the office cams via the QR code if you want to view them the same way as your home cams, but again: we recommend setting up a proper VPN like most of us here.
Strange, I never used the QR code method before. I Don`t even see how to do that with the app.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
DMSS Home page -> Plus sign top right corner -> SN/Scan. Scan the QR code or type the serial number and choose (in your case) Wired Camera.

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DMSS Home page -> Plus sign top right corner -> SN/Scan. Scan the QR code or type the serial number and choose (in your case) Wired Camera.
Thank you, will try this as soon as I can.

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, will try this as soon as I can.
Thank you again, Discovered in my rush to install the office cameras, (was leaving country), I must have added them to app wrong. Working fine now.