Problem with SSA cutting out

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Weird happenings with one of my V2 5442 fixed lens turrets
HDW5442TM-ASE
FW System VersionV2.840.0000000.18.R, Build Date: 2022-06-29

Every day for the past week, with NO changes to config, the SSA cuts out around 5pm. First day it was like 5:06pm then next day 5:01pm, then yesterday at 4:38pm

Anyone ever had this happen? Checked Profile Schedule, all AI rules, NVR, nothing I can see that is connected to it.
This is one particular scene where SSA is needed as you can see, and WDR just doesnt get it

View attachment Home_ch3_20240420163805_20240420163815.mp4

View attachment Home_ch3_20240416170140_20240416170159.mp4

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah power cycled 2-3 times the past 2 days. Weirdest thing for it to just start doing that out of the blue.

And yeah will do a full default next

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No joy. Full factory reset, configured all from scratch, still did it today at 4:58pm

it’s been running with very few tweaks, and none recent, for about 1.5 years and just all of a sudden..

Its possessed

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But did you do the 3 time factory reset LOL.

I would do the ole factory reset 3 times, flash the firmware again, factory reset 3 times.

I had a 5442 that would do this (except at night like around 10pm it would turn SSA on) and that fixed it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is SSA a good thing to use?
It is best to try everything else - adjustments to shutter, brightness, gain, etc. before using any backlight options.

But some fields of view need SSA or WDR or HLC or BLC, but it is best to keep them as low as possible and not use at night.

Used wrong or too high and it is the classic case of the static image looks great, but motion is a blur.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It is best to try everything else - adjustments to shutter, brightness, gain, etc. before using any backlight options.

But some fields of view need SSA or WDR or HLC or BLC, but it is best to keep them as low as possible and not use at night.

Used wrong or too high and it is the classic case of the static image looks great, but motion is a blur.
Yes, I saw the info stating that some controls are unavailable if it's turned on. Turned it on and saw exposure go gray. Since I use manual exposures for day and night, this is a no go. Thanks for the reply!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
There are 2 different SSA features

The one I’m using is a simple Backlight setting in the drop down menu much like WDR, BLC, etc.
SSA-V2.jpg

In newer FW versions there is ALSO an AI-SSA switch at the very top of the controls page. This is very different. It completely takes over exposure and other settings. That one I don’t recommend using.
SSA-V3.jpg

As to the normal SSA backlight setting, much like WDR I only recommend using either as a last resort. This particular scene with the camera in a very dark area looking out into very bright sunlight makes it necessary otherwise subjects at my door are backlit and very dark.
The new FW also has this plain Backlight SSA
SSA-V3-Backlight.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I saw the info stating that some controls are unavailable if it's turned on. Turned it on and saw exposure go gray. Since I use manual exposures for day and night, this is a no go. Thanks for the reply!
See above. I run manual exposure on all of my cams.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
But did you do the 3 time factory reset LOL.

I would do the ole factory reset 3 times, flash the firmware again, factory reset 3 times.

I had a 5442 that would do this (except at night like around 10pm it would turn SSA on) and that fixed it.
I did!

Gonna try and flash the firmware...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are 2 different SSA features

The one I’m using is a simple Backlight setting in the drop down menu much like WDR, BLC, etc.
View attachment 192993

In newer FW versions there is ALSO an AI-SSA switch at the very top of the controls page. This is very different. It completely takes over exposure and other settings. That one I don’t recommend using.
View attachment 192994

As to the normal SSA backlight setting, much like WDR I only recommend using either as a last resort. This particular scene with the camera in a very dark area looking out into very bright sunlight makes it necessary otherwise subjects at my door are backlit and very dark.
The new FW also has this plain Backlight SSA
View attachment 192995
Yep the AI-SSA is what I refer to as them trying to make the cameras like Reolink LOL. It will drop the FPS way down, slow down shutter, etc. And it wreaks havoc with BI, just like reolinks LOL.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
New firmware from March 2024 (weird being as the camera has been EOL for a while now) and still no joy.

Playing further I've discovered its not a bug its a Feature! Apparently SSA with input from the light sensor decides whether to be on or off. When the sun hits it just right, or the contrast of the dark area vs the light area is a certain value, it just shuts down. Nice :mad: