Problem with SMS notification

cutterman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi
I added SMS notification to trigger actions on one of my cameras and I can't get it to work. I know this feature worked about 6mo ago. Using latest version of BI, set cell provider appropriately (Verizon), confirmed that email notification works, BI server is allowed outbound access by my firewall.

I think BI uses an email for SMS notification, so I tried both (cellnumber)@vzwpix.com and (cellnumber)@vtext.com as email recipients for the trigger action and that doesn't work either.

Am I missing something? Is this a problem w Verizon?

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Consider Pushover instead of email/SMS/text for speed and reliability.
To quote @wittaj last week:

"+1 on Pushover
SMS/Text is the least desirable option as every mobile provider is tightening their spam algorithms, so every mobile provider goes thru spells where you don't get the text alerts."

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of threads about this.

It has been happening awhile with every mobile provider and there are many threads started with someone experiencing what you are.

You can confirm that BI and email sent them, so you know it is a mobile provider issue.

See this thread from a couple months ago. It appears Verizon in particular is rolling out blocking these types of messages on a permanent basis.

Using the test feature, their algorithm knows you pushed a button, but for the automated alerts, they know that was computer generated and are locking those up.

Best is to move to Pushover ($5) app as every mobile provider is tightening their spam algorithm. It may start working again for months, and then just stop. And then work again.

I used to use the SMS method as well, but the pushover app is way better and more immediate and consistent.

You could try another email provider or mobile provider, but it will happen with them as well. All you will have done is kicked the can down the curb using a different email account.

cutterman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick and very useful replies.
Looks like I have a little project to work on;)