Problem with Blueiris, Extreme CPU usage

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly it didn't fix the problem, CPU usage 84%

See attached. It seems to build up over time.
That's impossible... logged in via TeamViewer it was at 50... something strange is going on here...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
my system does the same
it cannot do the same unless you have the exact same system and same cameras...something is wrong with his setup...I personally logged in yesterday and it was at 50 percent, via teamviewer that adds lots of overhead...you likely have something set incorrectly...

Reaction score
I had to disable one hikvision camera altogether in order to keep the pc I am using running at all as a BI server as CPU time goes up by 15 to 20 percent when that camera is on line. I have a theory that windows 10 by using ipv6 allows a back door to be used to access the cameras which creates a big drain on the system. several times I have had to go into the cameras and turn off UPNP, save the settings, reboot, check the camera all is good and a few weeks later it's back on again. I do not want anyone from outside my lan accessing my cameras and I certainly do not set it up as so, but yet it happens

Reaction score
this is from windows on the ipv6 in windows 10

Important Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is a mandatory part of Windows Vista and later versions of Windows. We do not recommend that you disable IPv6 or its components. If you do, some Windows components may not function. Additionally, system startup will be delayed for 5 seconds if IPv6 is disabled by incorrectly, setting the DisabledComponents registry setting to a value of 0xfffffff. The correct value should be 0xff. For more information, see the "What are Microsoft's recommendations about disabling IPv6?" question in IPv6 for Microsoft Windows: Frequently Asked Questions.

daniellib

n3wb
Reaction score
Appreciate the help guys, but I think this may be a question for Ken now,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Appreciate the help guys, but I think this may be a question for Ken now,
i doubt he could help you...you need to start with a clean windows install...also did you try looking on the console itself instead of the mobile app? when I left the system it was on 50 percent WITH teamviewer on.

daniellib

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah i don't think so aswell. I'll do a fresh install when i get home.

Yeah i did check, but what happens is it starts low cpu usage, around 26% but creeps up over the day to 100% and then the computer crashes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah i did check, but what happens is it starts low cpu usage, around 26% but creeps up over the day to 100% and then the computer crashes.
Okay then I know what your problem is... It's almost 100% certain that you have a memory leak.... This is related to the Intel HD driver.... I have there are several threads discussing this go to the Intel website and install the latest driver.... If you already have the latest driver you might need an install an older one...

Reaction score
Hey Mike, did you try a fresh install at all?
yes just 2 weeks ago. I am wondering if there is something that has to be set different in bios or a service that needs to be turned on in windows 10 64?
I was noticing today that when the sun was fully up the CPU usage when up, but when the clouds came in, it went down. I have been using BI for a long time now and this is getting very frustrating

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

by any chance, is your clip storage full?

I've noticed BI will spend a large amount of CPU "recycling" clips once disk space is full. On my system, at least.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes just 2 weeks ago. I am wondering if there is something that has to be set different in bios or a service that needs to be turned on in windows 10 64?
I was noticing today that when the sun was fully up the CPU usage when up, but when the clouds came in, it went down. I have been using BI for a long time now and this is getting very frustrating
Was your clean install using Microsoft media?

daniellib

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting, I'll take a look at mine, only problem is, my comp has crashed and i cant look at it till I get home and reset,

by any chance, is your clip storage full?

I've noticed BI will spend a large amount of CPU "recycling" clips once disk space is full. On my system, at least.
I'll double check, but Im pretty sure its empty.

Okay then I know what your problem is... It's almost 100% certain that you have a memory leak.... This is related to the Intel HD driver.... I have there are several threads discussing this go to the Intel website and install the latest driver.... If you already have the latest driver you might need an install an older one...
Hmmm, this sounds interesting. It is definatley the latest driver but I'll roll it back and see what happens. How do you know if your GPU is working (hardware decoding)??

I'm very grateful for the help from everyone, Much appreciated

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would like to add my input here in regards to this issue and think I have some valuable input.

Prior to a few days ago, I was using a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit computer, i7-4790k, with 16 GB of ram installed as my BI server. It did not only do BI, but Plex and some random video conversions. With 10 HikVision cameras installed, it became obvious that I needed to have a dedicated BI PC so this one could be used for Plex and video conversions, along with random web browsing, etc. BI ran around 25-30% CPU usage, BTW.

I began to look for new components (motherboard, CPU and memory...already had the case, power supply, SSD, etc) I chose an i7-6700K, 16 GB of ram, an ASUS motherboard and purchased a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Put it all together and it ran fine, no problems.

Here is a short timeline (I just built this system, so not a lot of history to draw on)
Friday 8/11/17 - Put BI on the new computer, got all settings imported and works great. Using direct to disk, hardware acceleration, etc.
Saturday 8/12/17 - Still runs great. Nothing on this PC but fresh OS and BI. BI runs around 15-20%.
Saturday 8/12/17 11:30 PM - Decided to update video driver directly from Intel. New version available so I install it and reboot.
Sunday 8/13/17 - Bring up my BI IOS app and BI is running at 80% CPU usage!!

So now, I have my first problem. Didn't know at first if it was just because the computer had an issue (it was only up a few days at this point), or if it was the video driver I installed the night before. So, I rebooted the PC and BI started up at around 15-20% like normal. Check an hour later, and it's 25% and continues to climb. I restart it when it hits around 50%. Same results again. The CPU % seems to climb 5% every hour or so. I didn't really take much note of the memory usage, but it seemed like it was not climbing like the CPU usage was. So, I decided to revert to the previous video driver version to see if that would fix the problem. Uninstalled the Intel package I had installed the night before and rebooted. Made a note of the video driver version to make sure it reverted to a previous one. Once I was back up from the reboot, checked the video driver, and sure enough it was the previous version. Good. Now I closely monitored the CPU usage and it has been rock solid at 15-20% again like it initially was.

Here is the display driver version that caused my issues:

Here is the original display driver that came from the Windows 10 64 bit Pro DVD:

It sounds like you were going to try this anyway, but I just wanted to share my experience and let you know you were not the only person having this type of problem.

daniellib

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to add my input here in regards to this issue and think I have some valuable input.

Prior to a few days ago, I was using a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit computer, i7-4790k, with 16 GB of ram installed as my BI server. It did not only do BI, but Plex and some random video conversions. With 10 HikVision cameras installed, it became obvious that I needed to have a dedicated BI PC so this one could be used for Plex and video conversions, along with random web browsing, etc. BI ran around 25-30% CPU usage, BTW.

I began to look for new components (motherboard, CPU and memory...already had the case, power supply, SSD, etc) I chose an i7-6700K, 16 GB of ram, an ASUS motherboard and purchased a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Put it all together and it ran fine, no problems.

Here is a short timeline (I just built this system, so not a lot of history to draw on)
Friday 8/11/17 - Put BI on the new computer, got all settings imported and works great. Using direct to disk, hardware acceleration, etc.
Saturday 8/12/17 - Still runs great. Nothing on this PC but fresh OS and BI. BI runs around 15-20%.
Saturday 8/12/17 11:30 PM - Decided to update video driver directly from Intel. New version available so I install it and reboot.
Sunday 8/13/17 - Bring up my BI IOS app and BI is running at 80% CPU usage!!

So now, I have my first problem. Didn't know at first if it was just because the computer had an issue (it was only up a few days at this point), or if it was the video driver I installed the night before. So, I rebooted the PC and BI started up at around 15-20% like normal. Check an hour later, and it's 25% and continues to climb. I restart it when it hits around 50%. Same results again. The CPU % seems to climb 5% every hour or so. I didn't really take much note of the memory usage, but it seemed like it was not climbing like the CPU usage was. So, I decided to revert to the previous video driver version to see if that would fix the problem. Uninstalled the Intel package I had installed the night before and rebooted. Made a note of the video driver version to make sure it reverted to a previous one. Once I was back up from the reboot, checked the video driver, and sure enough it was the previous version. Good. Now I closely monitored the CPU usage and it has been rock solid at 15-20% again like it initially was.

Here is the display driver version that caused my issues:

Here is the original display driver that came from the Windows 10 64 bit Pro DVD:

It sounds like you were going to try this anyway, but I just wanted to share my experience and let you know you were not the only person having this type of problem.
Thanks mate, Appreciate the input and taking the time to write this up. Unfortunately I've gone away and my computer has crashed leaving me unable to access till I get back :(. I'll try that asap, and post my results. What MP and frame rate are you running, 15-20% usage is where I'd like to be.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All of my HikVision cameras are 3 to 4 MP, and frame rate varies from 10 to 15 fps. Blue Iris reports around 421 MP/s. I'm confident once your computer is up and running and you downgrade the display adapter driver, you will be much better off.

daniellib

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm also thinking of upgrading my i5 7600k to an i7 7700k as a work colleague told me the i7 is much better when handling cctv? Not sure how true this is. I could use the 7600k in another rig, so that wouldn't go to waste

tspicer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I5 to I7 is not going to make that much difference in performance..

You might Try shutting down real time anti-virus scanning and see what happens to the cpu usage..