dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor 3.80 GHz,
16 Gigabyte DDR
4 1 Gig SSDs
3 IPC-HFW4431R-Z 2.7-12mm Motorized Varifocal (Dahua ?) Bullet
2 ANPVIZ 4mp 3840x2160 Resolution Turret

Recently added the 2nd ANPVIZ 4mp 3840x2160 Resolution Turret using 3 foot patch cable.
All 5 cams worked fine. The 4 outside ones and the new inside one on patch cable.

Installed 35 foot Cat6 cable, after testing with cable tester that it is ok.

But now, the new ANPVIZ 4mp 3840x2160 Resolution Turret “Failed to connect”.
Connected and checked the 35 foot cable with cable checker “No problem, checked out fine”.

All cameras are plugged into an 8 port 130 Watt POE switch using Cat6 cable.
4 cameras on about 150 foot cable work fine.

I did a system check.

System Check:
CPU Memory Disk Network GPU GPU engine Power usage Power usage
trend
Blue Iris
Software 6 - 13% 2.9 MB 0 MB/s 18.4 Mbps 0% ----------------
Very High Very Low

My router is an AX-20. I’m sure I did something wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

WD aka Dee

Last edited:

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It seems to me that you have a bad cable, the 35 foot one. The facts you cite: plenty of PC power, plenty of poe power, the fact that it worked on a 3' patch cable, the fact that your system is up and running shows you know how to use the system.

The only thing left seems to be the cable, the fact that it test good is not a 100% guarantee it is working with your camera.

Final thoughts while I was typing: cable wired to 568A standard or some crossover wiring issue. I have seen "8 port" poe switches that only have 4 poe ports out of the 8 available (Edimax for one).

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
did you terminate, make the cable your self ?
Most Cable tester that consumers use a junk, they test conductivity, they do not test for data rates.

Does the data flow from the cameras to BI through the router ? , If so this is incorrect, BI video data from the cameras NEVER flows through the router.

the correct cable wiring.

RJ45-Pinout-T568B.jpg

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It seems to me that you have a bad cable, the 35 foot one. The facts you cite: plenty of PC power, plenty of poe power, the fact that it worked on a 3' patch cable, the fact that your system is up and running shows you know how to use the system.

The only thing left seems to be the cable, the fact that it test good is not a 100% guarantee it is working with your camera.

Final thoughts while I was typing: cable wired to 568A standard or some crossover wiring issue. I have seen "8 port" poe switches that only have 4 poe ports out of the 8 available (Edimax for one).
Thanks,
I solved the problem. I have too many yellow cables going into the top compartment of my computer cabinet. The one that I needed and I slipped into the opening in the back, had fallen out. None of the others worked of course.
First lesson learned is to label all cables, even when it is the very first and only one. Years later, when you've done hundreds of changes and upgrades, and when you are sorry that 18 years of sloppy house cleaning(cable cabinet house cleaning), you become senile and too afraid to remove cables you don't remember.
Second lesson learned was this is not what a cancer patient in his 80s should do.
I'm starting to become forgetful.

Sorry, but maybe my sloppiness can prevent others from making the same mistake.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
did you terminate, make the cable your self ?
Most Cable tester that consumers use a junk, they test conductivity, they do not test for data rates.

Does the data flow from the cameras to BI through the router ? , If so this is incorrect, BI video data from the cameras NEVER flows through the router.

the correct cable wiring.

View attachment 144585
Cam cables to 8 port POE switch
POE switch to router (each of 5 cam 's address reserved for DHCP).
So, for this to work, eventually connected to router. Is this what you mean?

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The video traffic should not run through the router. Plug the bi computer into the Poe switch.

You should be using static IP address set in the camera. In a range that is not used by the router.
What is a bi computer?

Do you mean my computer, which is currently connected into a router port, should plug into my POO switch?

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is a bi computer?

Do you mean my computer, which is currently connected into a router port, should plug into my POE switch?
I figured it out,... bi computer = Blue Iris computer?

Not sure how to set static IP address in router. I'll look it up on youtube.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

You give the IP camera itself a unique, static IP by logging into the cam's webGUI (embeded interface) using the cam's IP in a browser on your PC.
Use an IP that is OUTSIDE of the router's DHCP pool.
To find out what the router's DHCP pool is, log into the router's webGUI using the router's LAN IP in your PC's browser.
Reply if you do not know your router's LAN IP or how to find it.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

there are two ways
ether setting the static address in the device
or leave the device in dhcp and static it in the router in the router's "address reservation " or "MAC to IP address binding" screen usually in the DHCP networking section of the router.
I think putting a static address in the device is better because if the router is ever changed the network would have to be reset up.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think putting a static address in the device is better because if the router is ever changed the network would have to be reset up.
Unless you get a new router that uses the same IP addresses as your old one you'll need to set it all back up anyway.
I prefer reservations for that reason.
The camera will always pick up an up address no matter what ip addressing scheme your router uses.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unless you get a new router that uses the same IP addresses as your old one you'll need to set it all back up anyway.
I prefer reservations for that reason.
The camera will always pick up an up address no matter what ip addressing scheme your router uses.
Its easier to set the router's ip address instead of rebuilding a mac to ip binding table in a router.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For me, it seems because so many of the ISP-furnished modem/router combos don't have the IP reservation feature, and I wind up logging into them to change the LAN IP and it's DHCP pool anyway, I just assign all the cams static IP's that are OUTSIDE of the router's DHCP pool.

This especially is my method when there's a bunch of cams that I set up 2-3 years ago for a client with static IP's and they get a new modem/router with a different LAN subnet than before.... easier for me to change those items in the 'new' or 'different' router to work with the existing cams instead of logging into a bunch of cams and changing them. YMMV....

Been doing that for a long, long time (just assigning static IP's outside the router's DHCP pool) and have yet to encounter an issue.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For me, it seems because so many of the ISP-furnished modem/router combos don't have the IP reservation feature, and I wind up logging into them to change the LAN IP and it's DHCP pool anyway, I just assign all the cams static IP's that are OUTSIDE of the router's DHCP pool.

This especially is my method when there's a bunch of cams that I set up 2-3 years ago for a client with static IP's and they get a new modem/router with a different LAN subnet than before.... easier for me to change those items in the 'new' or 'different' router to work with the existing cams instead of logging into a bunch of cams and changing them. YMMV....

Been doing that for a long, long time (just assigning static IP's outside the router's DHCP pool) and have yet to encounter an issue.
I usually don' use a combo route/cable modem to set up a network and the ones I did I either bridge them out or call the ISP to bridge out the router in the modem.
But most of the building networks I set up wouldn't use a wimpy 1Gb router in the first place.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is a bi computer?

Do you mean my computer, which is currently connected into a router port, should plug into my POE switch?

Ok, I unplugged my computer cable from the router and plugged it into an empty port of my POE switch. Tried to reboot, but it would not reboot. Windows troubleshooter insisted it must be plugged into the router. That is what I did and here I am back again.
Did I do this wrong?
Did you forget any steps I should have done first?
The video traffic should not run through the router. Plug the bi computer into the Poe switch.

You should be using static IP address set in the camera. In a range that is not used by the router.
Ok, thanks a lot!
Set static address, plugged computer into switch, rebooted and everything works a okay.
All cameras in Blue Iris came on instantly.