Problem viewing clips

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had a 1TB HD that was being used to store "New" clips. I've replaced it with an SSD and pointed BI to it for storing the clips.

Now it appears that motion detect is working and clips are being recorded but when I try to view the clips in UI3 I get a "server is unavailable" error. Nothing I do changes this. Nothing wrong with the SSD. All other functions appear normal.

Any help much appreciated.

BI 5

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the drive name and location the same?

If not, you probably need to rebuild the database. You will lose all the alert thumbnails but all the video remains.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is the drive name and location the same?

If not, you probably need to rebuild the database. You will lose all the alert thumbnails but all the video remains.
Thanks. Just did a delete and regenerate. Hopefully that fixed it. I also moved the "New" folder to c:\Blue Iris\ New where I assume it belongs.

All I'm really interest in is seeing the clips recorded when motion is detected. Don't really understand Alerts / New / Stored, etc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well most of us put NEW on a HDD as you will blow thru the SSD life a lot faster throwing 24/7 video to it.

And most of us do not use stored unless it is moving to a NAS. It is CPU wasteful and the HDD wears out faster when one is simply moving it from one folder to another.

BI is smart and is just as efficient if all of the video is on the NEW folder. Have a D:\NEW and d:\STORED where the files are just moving around on the same drive is wasteful.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep, that fixed it. I moved everything back to the BI folder and removed the second SSD. The boot drive is an Intel DC S3700 400GB. It should last a good long while.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just added a 2TB spinner to the server and put NEW on it. Both the Alerts and Stored folders are empty so I assume I don't need to do anything further. I'm trying to keep this server as low power as possible but I guess that's not really a good idea.