Problem even with simple setting - need help

Bctech

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I have
1pc DS-2CD2032-I
1pc NVR - DS-7604N-E1

I just want a simple set up. I want to connect the cam direct to the recorder to record without any network.
When i plugged the cam to the NVR using the internet cable it shows nothing on the screen.
What is the first thing i should do?

Bctech

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I have
1pc DS-2CD2032-I
1pc NVR - DS-7604N-E1

I just want a simple set up. I want to connect the cam direct to the recorder to record without any network.
When i plugged the cam to the NVR using the internet cable it shows nothing on the screen.
What is the first thing i should do?

I am very new and understand my question is stupid, but can someone please help. I got the hardware but have no clue how to make it work
thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am very new and understand my question is stupid, but can someone please help. I got the hardware but have no clue how to make it work
thanks
Welcome to the forum..if your NVR only has one ethernet port you will need to get a poe switch for this to work....
Does you NVR have ports to connect the 4 cameras or only a single port?

Bctech

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply
my nvr only has one Ethernet port. Do I connect the carmera to there?
my cam has a y split , one Ethernet, one 12v power. It doesn't come with a power supply and when I bought it says the Ethernet port can use as power.
I only need the cam to connect to the nvr and record, so no internet is needed.
my nvr has only one port, and this is what I planned just to use one cam

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply
my nvr only has one Ethernet port. Do I connect the carmera to there?
my cam has a y split , one Ethernet, one 12v power. It doesn't come with a power supply and when I bought it says the Ethernet port can use as power.
I only need the cam to connect to the nvr and record, so no internet is needed.
my nvr has only one port, and this is what I planned just to use one cam
It is not designed to work this way as that port has not power. That model does not supply power, that port is a network port only. IF you only intend to use that one camera then you should be able to use that port if you power the camera via a 12v power supply. or you can use this switch and power the camera (and 3 others) without any additional power supply http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1446527523&sr=8-2&keywords=poe+switch

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Bctech

n3wb
Reaction score
It is not designed to work this way as that port has not power. That model does not supply power, that port is a network port only. IF you only intend to use that one camera then you should be able to use that port if you power the camera via a 12v power supply. or you can use this switch and power the camera (and 3 others) without any additional power supply http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1446527523&sr=8-2&keywords=poe+switch

Thanks again.
I think I got the wrong NVR ……
The seller told me I only need one internet cable to connectand it will have power, so I don’t need any power outlet. Then I thought thatEthernet port on the NVR is the one. Now turned out I am screwed.
I mixed up with Poe (which gives power + data ) and normal Ethernet(which just data)
In this case, I might have to change plan to go wireless. Ineed to buy a power supply to power up the cam.

The reason why I didn’t want wireless because the complexityof the set up and worrying of slow down my internet.
My questions is if I use one cam to record 24/7 in HD mode, willit have big impact on my internet speed. I am using basic plan and steamingtv/movie at night.
Or will you suggest I get the POE switch and directly recordfrom cam to nvr ?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

bearclaw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I haven't tried it but its possible that you could try to use a crossover network cable and plug the camera into the LAN port but you would still have to power the camera separately using a 12V power supply.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again.
I think I got the wrong NVR ……
The seller told me I only need one internet cable to connectand it will have power, so I don’t need any power outlet. Then I thought thatEthernet port on the NVR is the one. Now turned out I am screwed.
I mixed up with Poe (which gives power + data ) and normal Ethernet(which just data)
In this case, I might have to change plan to go wireless. Ineed to buy a power supply to power up the cam.

The reason why I didn’t want wireless because the complexityof the set up and worrying of slow down my internet.
My questions is if I use one cam to record 24/7 in HD mode, willit have big impact on my internet speed. I am using basic plan and steamingtv/movie at night.
Or will you suggest I get the POE switch and directly recordfrom cam to nvr ?

The problem is that you are confusing many things.
you dont need to go wireless, simply add a poe switch or injector. http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PoE150S-Gigabit-Injector-compliant/dp/B001PS9E5I/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1446581579&sr=1-4&keywords=poe+injector
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1446581592&sr=1-4&keywords=poe+switch
Also why are you afraid to connect the NVR to your router?

Bctech

n3wb
Reaction score
I did some research and found out my camera has no build inwifi?! I see the model with wifi has antenna on the camera
Does that mean the only way is to use poe to connect inorder to record to the NVR ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did some research and found out my camera has no build inwifi?! I see the model with wifi has antenna on the camera
Does that mean the only way is to use poe to connect inorder to record to the NVR ?
There are other methods like wifi bridge or power line, but they are not as reliable as ethernet....run a cable and you wont have any problems.

Bctech

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes it seems I am very confused, since I know nothing muchon this.
The reason I don’t want to connecto the nvr to the router isthat my router is very far from NVR.
My NVR wants to be near the TV so I can use HMDI cable toview the camera on my TV
I now think my NVR doesn’t have wifi built in?
What is the best to connect this system?

Bctech

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok I need to buy either the POE switch/injector/12V to thecamera.
Is it possible to put the whole set outside as I don’t wantrunning cable from back yard to inside the house?
I only need the NVR record and no need any network set up

Bctech

n3wb
Reaction score

Does anyone know what kind of power supply to power up theCam

HikvisionDS-2CD2032F-IW

It is12V but what A? 300ma ok?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Does anyone know what kind of power supply to power up theCam

HikvisionDS-2CD2032F-IW

It is12V but what A? 300ma ok?
300 will likely be too low..500 should be ok, but to be safe, use a 1a

Bctech

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you.
does the polarity matter? i don't see any spec written on the cam. the manual sucks.
i hope can make sure what polarity on the tip, anyone knows

Bctech

n3wb
Reaction score
i think since it is DC so the polarity should matter.
Anyone know whats polarity on the camera input jack ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it says 'Positive centre' for the polarity, that is correct. And the power rating is OK for a regular '2-series' Hikvision IP camera.