Privacy guy

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand and agree with the Chinese ban for government installations. Don't under estimate the level of digital warfare that is being waged today. Most individuals only need to worry about "data collection" and devices being hacked and used for zombie bots. Large businesses, utility companies and governments need to be worried about much more than that however. A camera is a perfect trojan horse to get nefarious things onto an isolated (ie no WAN connection) network. The Chinese wouldn't have to figure out how to penetrate a secure government facility to upload something nefarious because we would install it ourselves. Of course that type of attack would be very focused with a specific target in mind. It would be an offensive weapon rather than a "data collector" because without internet there is no way to pass data back. It could be an extremely effective weapon however.

That being said, these are issues that the general public doesn't need to worry about. There is nothing on our home networks that the Chinese are going to "target" with that type of sophisticated attack. That's why I am perfectly fine with running Dahua cameras at my house. Of course they are on their own isolated VLAN without internet access to prevent data collection and zombie bot use, but that should be done regardless of the manufacturer.

Last edited: