Presets Drift When Patroling

WalkeJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using BI with a EasyN FS-613A-M136 camera.

I have found that when patrolling preset PTZ positions, it drifts left with time. After running through a few cycles, the camera ends up pointing left of all of the preset positions.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Help!

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its caused by being a cheap ass PTZ, they can not maintain positioning and quickly drift... the mechanics they use for panning/tilting are simply not accurate enough.

you need a high end PTZ made with precision parts to get perfect positioning.. Ive not seen one under $250 that is made well enough that it can maintain its location over time.

My $200 Dahua Mini-PTZ cannot maintain its location, and quickly gets lost; my $600 12x Dahua PTZ maintains it perfectly... internally they are worlds apart, the cheap one looks like its made with a kids lego set.. the high end one looks like it was made in a german auto plant.

WalkeJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Its caused by being a cheap ass PTZ, they can not maintain positioning and quickly drift... the mechanics they use for panning/tilting are simply not accurate enough.

you need a high end PTZ made with precision parts to get perfect positioning.. Ive not seen one under $250 that is made well enough that it can maintain its location over time.

My $200 Dahua Mini-PTZ cannot maintain its location, and quickly gets lost; my $600 12x Dahua PTZ maintains it perfectly... internally they are worlds apart, the cheap one looks like its made with a kids lego set.. the high end one looks like it was made in a german auto plant.

Hmmm. Ok. This EasyN camera appears to be a "clone" of the Foscam FI8910. Can I assume that none of the Foscam models will be able to maintain their preset positions with time, even the more expensive ($200 FI9826W) models.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah I doubt any foscam will maintain presets for long, the more you move it the more it will get out of sync with reality.. a reboot/reset should help it find its bearings again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nayr makes a good point..if you reboot on a timer you should be able to rerset the camera every so often to resync. What area are you patrolling? Is it a room or some super wide area? Did you set the ptz to dwell on motion detection?

WalkeJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Nayr makes a good point..if you reboot on a timer you should be able to rerset the camera every so often to resync. What area are you patrolling? Is it a room or some super wide area? Did you set the ptz to dwell on motion detection?
I have the camera setup in a spot in my house where I can PT to look into my computer room, my front door, my living room and my bedroom.

I do have it set to dwell on motion detection, but I have not configured any motion detection as yet anyway.

Even after a reboot, the presets are not pointing where I originally set them... They eventually all end up at the far left extreme of travel.

I think that there must be something "broken" with the drive motor(s).

It is disappointing to here that even the "better/more expensive" Foscams will probably not do what I was hoping to.

Maybe I'll have to just look a multiple "fixed" cameras instead. :-(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are better off with fixed cameras anyway..Thats why as i was asking what you were using it for. With fixed cams you have coverage of the are 24/7. With patrol you will certainly miss things...Take a look at the hikvsion 2432 cube camera..its about 115 via aliexpress, its 3mp which will give you a MUCH better image than the easy N has sd card slot, PIR motion sensor that can be used with blue iris. It is also a true wireless N camera unlike the easy N which is G and may slow an N network..although running wireless is not recommend and you will have lower your bitrate/frame on wifi with this camera. Get the 2.8mm version (4mm is default) which will give you a very wide angle (even wider if you run in 2mp mode) and you will likely only need two of them.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive helped design and build gimbals for multirotor UAV's, its like a minature lil PTZ.. but its tapped into the UAV's gyros and can maintain the camera on a fixed location even when the aircraft moves.. the motors needed for a DIY job cost more than your entire camera.. by the time everything was said and one it was around $300 and a camera hadent even been put in it yet.. an off the shelf unit cost nearly twice that and had pretty weak performance.. an off the shelf unit that beat our performance was several thousand dollars.

we tried cheaper stepping motors and they didnt work at all.. never accurate enough to maintain anything.. a few moments into only a 20min flight and the'd already lost its positioning with as much as they had to move.. in the end motors accurate enough were ~$100 a pop and you need two of them.. this is why I suspect you cant get a good PTZ for less than ~$300

more expensive foscams are a waste of money; be glad you didnt buy any.

ram16690

n3wb
Reaction score
preset position accuracy ip camera

Hi help me out..
Can you suggest me a wireless ptz ip camera with high preset position accuracy around $500-$600..
cheers..

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To maintain perfect presets the motor and gearing all need to be metal, cheap camera's are not..
That said I have a cheap ptz with auto tracking which is perfect all day long, but a key fact to installing a ptz is it must be 100% plumb so the wear is equal to all points, this prevents loose movement areas.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: preset position accuracy ip camera

Hi help me out..
Can you suggest me a wireless ptz ip camera with high preset position accuracy around $500-$600..
cheers..
Look at hikvision and dahua models...any camera could be made wifi using a small bridge...wifi is not generally a good idea for cameras.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: preset position accuracy ip camera

Hi help me out..
cheers..
I think Nelly's sells a Hikvision PTZ (with POE and maybe wifi) for around this range. Contact @RyanODan on the forum.

Last edited: