Pre trigger video and snapshots?

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I apologize if this is a noob question, but, I'm a noob, what can I say. In my trigger videos and snapshots, I'd like to have about a 2 second pre-trigger video and a couple snapshots as well. Would also like a few post-trigger snapshots as well. Is the video configured via the pre-trigger video buffer (frames) option? And how do I get a few pre and post trigger snapshots?

Thank you for the constructive suggestions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I apologize if this is a noob question, but, I'm a noob, what can I say. In my trigger videos and snapshots, I'd like to have about a 2 second pre-trigger video and a couple snapshots as well. Would also like a few post-trigger snapshots as well. Is the video configured via the pre-trigger video buffer (frames) option? And how do I get a few pre and post trigger snapshots?

Thank you for the constructive suggestions.
I dont believe you can take any pre/post trigger snapshots, though I dont use snapshots at all...
Keep in mind if you set your break time to anything over 0 it will keep taking snapshots at the interval you select because the trigger is still active until the break time has passed.

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I dont believe you can take any pre/post trigger snapshots, though I dont use snapshots at all...
Keep in mind if you set your break time to anything over 0 it will keep taking snapshots at the interval you select because the trigger is still active until the break time has passed.
Ok, I set the break time to 10 sec, and the jpeg snapshot each 2 seconds, which gives me 5 post-trigger snapshots. Would still like to get the pre-trigger snapshots, just to scroll through and see what led up to the trigger.

Those snapshots are showing up in the "new" folder. I also have snapshots and video in an "alert" folder. Would like all the snapshots and video to show up in the same folder so I don't have to keep swapping folders to view the snapshots and video. In the "record" tab of camera properties I have the option of which folder to record to, but, can only select between "new" and "storage". Why isn't "alert" an option? Or, how do I get all snapshots and video from a trigger event to show up in the same folder?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I set the break time to 10 sec, and the jpeg snapshot each 2 seconds, which gives me 5 post-trigger snapshots. Would still like to get the pre-trigger snapshots, just to scroll through and see what led up to the trigger.

Those snapshots are showing up in the "new" folder. I also have snapshots and video in an "alert" folder. Would like all the snapshots and video to show up in the same folder so I don't have to keep swapping folders to view the snapshots and video. In the "record" tab of camera properties I have the option of which folder to record to, but, can only select between "new" and "storage". Why isn't "alert" an option? Or, how do I get all snapshots and video from a trigger event to show up in the same folder?
1) you should set your break time to longer than 10 seconds otherwise you are likely to miss important recordings. Often times subjects stand still or move very little. I would set it to at least 20, 30 is better.
2) If you are setting snapshots to occur every 2 seconds then you do not need the alert snapshot - you will get that first snapshot which is the same as the alert snapshot. They serve different purposes. You cannot change it to the alert folder because that would cause the video to go to the alert folder as well.
3) I dont see how these snapshots are of any use as you can review the video itself at high speed faster than you can scroll through snap shots.

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1) you should set your break time to longer than 10 seconds otherwise you are likely to miss important recordings. Often times subjects stand still or move very little. I would set it to at least 20, 30 is better.
2) If you are setting snapshots to occur every 2 seconds then you do not need the alert snapshot - you will get that first snapshot which is the same as the alert snapshot. They serve different purposes. You cannot change it to the alert folder because that would cause the video to go to the alert folder as well.
3) I dont see how these snapshots are of any use as you can review the video itself at high speed faster than you can scroll through snap shots.
1) We have a marina, the cameras are set to catch folks walking on/off the dock, and around the dock. So, most of the triggers will be someone walking past the camera and going to the next camera. I'm happy with the 10 sec break time.

2) Would just like to get all the snapshots/video in the same folder so I'm not swapping folders to view all the trigger content. I may delete the alert snapshot option, but, am tempted to have hourly snapshots taken throughout the year and then be able to make a video of all the hourly snapshots. Sounds like if I do that (hourly snapshots) then I can't do post-trigger snapshots as well.

3) Sometimes those jpegs flip up faster than the video takes to load on my computer. Wish I could say I had a super-duper fast pc, but, it sometimes take a bit of time to load videos. Much faster to flip through jpegs.

BTW: I appreciate all your sage advise. I am quite impressed with the software and am still learning all that it can do. I'm not using it to its full capacity, but, will get around to using more, perhaps when I get the $ to put in a dedicated bi server machine. Not quite there yet. Thank you for all your input.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1) We have a marina, the cameras are set to catch folks walking on/off the dock, and around the dock. So, most of the triggers will be someone walking past the camera and going to the next camera. I'm happy with the 10 sec break time.

2) Would just like to get all the snapshots/video in the same folder so I'm not swapping folders to view all the trigger content. I may delete the alert snapshot option, but, am tempted to have hourly snapshots taken throughout the year and then be able to make a video of all the hourly snapshots. Sounds like if I do that (hourly snapshots) then I can't do post-trigger snapshots as well.

3) Sometimes those jpegs flip up faster than the video takes to load on my computer. Wish I could say I had a super-duper fast pc, but, it sometimes take a bit of time to load videos. Much faster to flip through jpegs.

BTW: I appreciate all your sage advise. I am quite impressed with the software and am still learning all that it can do. I'm not using it to its full capacity, but, will get around to using more, perhaps when I get the $ to put in a dedicated bi server machine. Not quite there yet. Thank you for all your input.
2) You can still do hourly snapshots by simply cloning the camera and using the clone for snapshots alone. Hide the clone so you dont see duplicates on the screen.
3) you can buy an i5-4590 haswell pc with a three year next business day warranty for 300 dollars, hp elitedesk 800 g1. In fact I just bought two tonight for 280 each. Well worth it.

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
2) You can still do hourly snapshots by simply cloning the camera and using the clone for snapshots alone. Hide the clone so you dont see duplicates on the screen.
3) you can buy an i5-4590 haswell pc with a three year next business day warranty for 300 dollars, hp elitedesk 800 g1. In fact I just bought two tonight for 280 each. Well worth it.
Like your idea for #2 - very doable.

Do you have a website for the i5-4590 pc's? Would they also happen to have the i7 versions? I read in another thread that the haswell is sufficient, the newer cpus don't offer much benefit for our applications - security cam monitoring.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Like your idea for #2 - very doable.

Do you have a website for the i5-4590 pc's? Would they also happen to have the i7 versions? I read in another thread that the haswell is sufficient, the newer cpus don't offer much benefit for our applications - security cam monitoring.
Search the forum for optiplex and elitedesk and you will see many threads discussing them. Ebay or the dell outlet. The i7-4790 can be had for about 500.
The i7 may be overkill how many cameras do you intend to run? what resolution?
Skylake offers more efficiency and better graphics both of which are helpful for NVR applications, however, their price premium is generally not worth it at this point.

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Search the forum for optiplex and elitedesk and you will see many threads discussing them. Ebay or the dell outlet. The i7-4790 can be had for about 500.
The i7 may be overkill how many cameras do you intend to run? what resolution?
I currently have 13 cams: 4 dlink 932, 7 foscam 18910, and 2 foscam 19821. Those last 2 foscams got me to really liking the higher resolution cameras, so, I will probably be going that route in the future. We'd like to offer to our customers that they pay us to install a security camera that watches their boat and they can view it across the internet. If we do that then we could see LOTS of cameras. If not, we will probably grow to around 20 cameras, around 1 mp each. Right now the 7xx resolution looks great compared to the lousy 640x480 we've had in the past.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have 13 cams: 4 dlink 932, 7 foscam 18910, and 2 foscam 19821. Those last 2 foscams got me to really liking the higher resolution cameras, so, I will probably be going that route in the future. We'd like to offer to our customers that they pay us to install a security camera that watches their boat and they can view it across the internet. If we do that then we could see LOTS of cameras. If not, we will probably grow to around 20 cameras, around 1 mp each. Right now the 7xx resolution looks great compared to the lousy 640x480 we've had in the past.
A 300 dollar i5-4590 will be more than sufficient for that load, particularly with the new hardware acceleration. Dont buy anymore foscam or dlink. There are much better options out there.

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Kinda on a smallish budget. Would love to get Hikvision cams, but, don't see them in the sub $80 price range. Perhaps I'm not looking for cams in the right place?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score