Pre-record buffer not working when using substreams

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are not recording continuously, then no need to record dual streams and then as you said the pre-trigger works...
Ahh. That's good to know. I'll disable them.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to use the timeline to play back multiple clips at once, then it becomes very important to have the sub stream recorded so it doesn't have to play all main streams.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you want to use the timeline to play back multiple clips at once, then it becomes very important to have the sub stream recorded so it doesn't have to play all main streams.
OK, so I DO want that feature. So that's probably the reason it's enabled by default.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have enough free CPU time, you can still do timeline playback with only main streams. That is how it worked for years before sub streams started getting recorded. But even if it works with main streams, seeking should be a lot more responsive with sub streams available.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But at the same time, if you are not recording continuously, what is the likelihood all cameras will be playing at the same time?

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the dual stream, but if you are not recording 24/7 and are having troubles with the pre-buffer, then you have decide which is more important - get the pre-buffer or deal with a slower machine if you do a multi-camera playback at the same time.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a thought, but maybe up the resolution of the sub streams, especially on the "left front".

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you have enough free CPU time, you can still do timeline playback with only main streams. That is how it worked for years before sub streams started getting recorded. But even if it works with main streams, seeking should be a lot more responsive with sub streams available.
Total cpu is typically around 5% with BI taking 2.5%. That's with 14 cameras. Of course it used to be 25% with BI4.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You could also try shutting off HA for that camera. It won't have any real impact on CPU utilization.