Pre-record buffer not working when using substreams

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just upgraded from BI 4 to 5 a few days ago. My pre-record buffers for all 14 cameras have completely stopped working when using substreams. If I turn the substream off for a camera, the pre-record buffer starts working again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How long is your pre-buffer and what is the KEY frame in the Camera Status page? If the KEY is less than 1.00, that can impact the prebuffer.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
collect the required system configuration data and send an email to the developer.
See the Blue Iris Settings about tab For the Get support button, email support.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How long is your pre-buffer and what is the KEY frame in the Camera Status page? If the KEY is less than 1.00, that can impact the prebuffer.
The pre-record buffer range 3 to 4 seconds but I increased them to 10 seconds. It's like this on all cameras. I frame interval is FPS in cameras where I can set that. Pre-record buffers all worked fine before the upgrade. I've literally not changed anything except for substreams. When I disable substreams, pre-record works again as before. Since the pre-record is for the mainstream, I don't see why this would make a difference.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
collect the required system configuration data and send an email to the developer.
See the Blue Iris Settings about tab For the Get support button, email support.
I like to hit the community first before I lean on my priority support subscription.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The pre-record buffer range 3 to 4 seconds but I increased them to 10 seconds. It's like this on all cameras. I frame interval is FPS in cameras where I can set that. Pre-record buffers all worked fine before the upgrade. I've literally not changed anything except for substreams. When I disable substreams, pre-record works again as before. Since the pre-record is for the mainstream, I don't see why this would make a difference.
It worked fine in V4 because V4 didn't use substreams...

In V5, the switch from substream to mainstream occurs on the nearest iframe, so if you had a prebuffer of 3 seconds, yet the KEY is 0.2 (or 5 seconds), then it won't get a prebuffer as the prebuffer time has to be greater than the time of the KEY...

From the help file:

When using dual-streaming, insure that your pre-trigger buffer is at least as large as the
time between key frames in the main stream. If your key frame rate is 0.5, this means at least 2.0 seconds of pre-trigger time
so that the buffer will contain at least one key frame.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It worked fine in V4 because V4 didn't use substreams...

In V5, the switch from substream to mainstream occurs on the nearest iframe, so if you had a prebuffer of 3 seconds, yet the KEY is 0.2 (or 5 seconds), then it won't get a prebuffer as the prebuffer time has to be greater than the time of the KEY...

From the help file:

When using dual-streaming, insure that your pre-trigger buffer is at least as large as the
time between key frames in the main stream. If your key frame rate is 0.5, this means at least 2.0 seconds of pre-trigger time
so that the buffer will contain at least one key frame.
That's not the issue. The i-frame interval on most of them is the same as fps. Changing pre-record buffer to 10 seconds makes no difference either.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you recording continuous or continuous + triggered?

It should be continuous+triggered or continuous + alerts.

If the KEY is good and you are recording +triggered, then have you tried a reboot of the computer? That will fix a lot of these issues we have seen recently when someone updates.

If that doesn't do it, then rollback to the latest stable release.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you talking about the Pre-Trigger buffer on the camera record tab?
The behavior of this feature has changes in version 5.4.9. Read the help file.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you recording continuous or continuous + triggered?

It should be continuous+triggered or continuous + alerts.

If the KEY is good and you are recording +triggered, then have you tried a reboot of the computer? That will fix a lot of these issues we have seen recently when someone updates.

If that doesn't do it, then rollback to the latest stable release.
I have NEVER recorded continuous. That would fill up my hard drive very quickly. I have video alerts going back months.

I have rebooted multiple times. I've stopped and started the BI service multiple times.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you talking about the Pre-Trigger buffer on the camera record tab?
The behavior of this feature has changes in version 5.4.9. Read the help file.
Yes. I'm familiar with this change. That has nothing to do with the fact that the pre-trigger buffer is still not actually recorded.

AGAIN if I turn substreams off it works fine. Video with substream turned on:
View attachment LeftFront.20211006_081722_1.mp4

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Last edited:

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also disabling record dual streams makes it work again as well.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but the brand of cameras, IE their CPU capabilities, can also become a problem with dual streams.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are not recording continuously, then no need to record dual streams and then as you said the pre-trigger works...

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Upper left on the console, the graph with lightning bolt icon. Second tab is camera status.
The camera under discussion is the one labeled Left Front at 192.168.1.81.

Capture.PNG

There's no help for the Reolinks at 0.25.

Attachments

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also even if the i-frame interval was long, you'd still have events where you'd catch the i-frame within the pre-record trigger time and well before the event start time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you are not recording continuously, simply do not check the record dual streams since you said it works if you uncheck it.

The dual record works well when you let it record the substream until motion and then it records mainstream, but if you are not using that feature, then checking it probably messes it up.

And that new feature works well....I have months of 24/7 recordings as a result of this new feature...

Last edited: