Powerline Adapters with PoE?

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Looking for verified Powerline adapter recommendations you guys may have that can provide PoE to an IP cam on the receiving side (not the one going to the switch)? Preferably if you have one that also comes with a built in outlet, it would be a bonus!

I'm looking for verified recommendations if possible. I got this one and it wasn't powering my Amcrest Ip2m with just the Ethernet cable:

Thank you!

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is a PLA with POE but they are NOT cheap.....$140 for a pair !! ==>> Comtrend G.hn 1200 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Bridge Adapter with Power Over Ethernet POE PG-9172PoE Single Unit (2-units required)

Is your "Amcrest IP2M" specifically the IP2M-841 which is powered by 5VDC?
Hi Tony, thanks for your response. I didn't know most Powerlines were not PoE... Yes I have both Ip2m-841B and V3. I believe both are 5v. But those work well enough for me on Wi-Fi. I was needing a Powerline in this case for a Lorex PoE. Specifically, the E891AB... Seems like that too could be powered with an adapter + PoE?

I was just looking for the least amount of equipment without bonkers total cost... Happy to hear if you have any ideas? Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Powerline can be hit and miss, both outlets need to be on the same circuit or performance can be worse than WiFi.
And definitely if you have 3 phase, need to be on the same phase. Ideally loan some units to test, as results vary greatly!!

PoE is just one way of getting power to the camera. You have many options, if you can't find a PoE PowerLine
  • Mesh WiFi or WiFi extender with a n Ethernet port, connected to a small PoE switch. Camera plugs into the PoE switch (used this type of setup plenty of times for temporary setups, works well, wouldn't stick 10 x 4k cameras behind it though.
  • Standard Powerline + Power injector
  • Run proper UTP cabling (always recommended for permanent setups)

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Powerline can be hit and miss, both outlets need to be on the same circuit or performance can be worse than WiFi.
And definitely if you have 3 phase, need to be on the same phase. Ideally loan some units to test, as results vary greatly!!

PoE is just one way of getting power to the camera. You have many options, if you can't find a PoE PowerLine
  • Mesh WiFi or WiFi extender with a n Ethernet port, connected to a small PoE switch. Camera plugs into the PoE switch (used this type of setup plenty of times for temporary setups, works well, wouldn't stick 10 x 4k cameras behind it though.
  • Standard Powerline + Power injector
  • Run proper UTP cabling (always recommended for permanent setups)
Thank you. What is UTP cabling?

Can you paste some product links as examples of the options you laid out so I can visualize how all these products could work for my needs?

One off topic question. I ordered a Powerline adapter with built in PoE to try my luck. Problem is, the outlet is an outdoor outlet that comes with those plastic covers and the outlet itself is a bit recessed to, I assume, prevent moisture. If the Powerline Adapter doesn't plug in that outlet... Using an extension of some kind will negate the Powerline network as it needs to be on the same power circuit as the paired adapter (in this case, near my PoE switch)?

Thank you again!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can use a 120 VAC power brick that converts to 12VDC 1.0-15 AMP/ They're all over th eplace Amazon etc. Should work for the Lorex if its like most other Dahua's..... right guys?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As long as the extension cord is just an extension cord and not a surge protector it should work. The surge protector circuitry disrupts the ability to pass the data, at least it has in my testing.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you. What is UTP cabling?
Unshielded Twisted Pair (cable)..typically CAT-5e (cable) used in Ethernet (a networking standard)

Problem is, the outlet is an outdoor outlet that comes with those plastic covers and the outlet itself is a bit recessed to, I assume, prevent moisture.
I use these to come out from the recessed type of outlet you're referring to, also when a power cube won't fit without taking up 2 female receptacles. They can be found on amazon, Home Depot & Lowes, etc. There's also a version that has a female receptacle on the back of the male in order to plug back in the item you remove. I think they call those outlet savers or something. Anyway, I bought a 10 pack years ago, they're basically a VERY short extension cord with no surge protection; I've used with PLA's (Power Line Adapters).

outlet-saver.jpg

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As long as the extension cord is just an extension cord and not a surge protector it should work. The surge protector circuitry disrupts the ability to pass the data, at least it has in my testing.
LOL did you sense my DM coming on this!? LOL!

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unshielded Twisted Pair (cable)..typically CAT-5e (cable) used in Ethernet (a networking standard)

I use these to come out from the recessed type of outlet you're referring to, also when a power cube won't fit without taking up 2 female receptacles. They can be found on amazon, Home Depot & Lowes, etc. There's also a version that has a female receptacle on the back of the male in order to plug back in the item you remove. I think they call those outlet savers or something. Anyway, I bought a 10 pack years ago, they're basically a VERY short extension cord with no surge protection; I've used with PLA's (Power Line Adapters).

View attachment 124672
Thanks Tony! This might be just what the doctor ordered LOL!

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll keep you guys posted when I get the adapter by Saturday.

A side question while I wait... This outdoor outlet I got... If I call an electrician to use that to give me a ceiling outlet in my patio, do you guys know if it will be the same "circuit" for the PLA to work still?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll keep you guys posted when I get the adapter by Saturday.

A side question while I wait... This outdoor outlet I got... If I call an electrician to use that to give me a ceiling outlet in my patio, do you guys know if it will be the same "circuit" for the PLA to work still?
Depends on how the electrician wires it - if they come off that outlet or if there is an easier one to come off of from inside the house.

In every instance that I have tried mine over at friend's houses, they worked whether it was on the same circuit or not. Mine is on opposite sides of the electric panel.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Depends on how the electrician wires it - if they come off that outlet or if there is an easier one to come off of from inside the house.

In every instance that I have tried mine over at friend's houses, they worked whether it was on the same circuit or not. Mine is on opposite sides of the electric panel.
Wow! That's promising to know... Thank you AJ!