Power Line Communication (Ethernet over power)?

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've tried it in multiple locations. it does require it (except during circumstances like @TonyR pointed out)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have tried it in three different houses (mine and two friends where I unhooked mine and took it over to make sure it would work before they ordered one) and in all three instances it worked.

One was in a shed that went thru like 4 GFCIs to get there (I was shocked it still worked). each device was on a separate side of the breaker panel.

Another had two electric panels in the garage and the camera was on the auxiliary panel and the computer was on the main panel.

Mine is on each side of the panel.

In my testing, they will not work thru a surge protector.

But I do know that some have said they had to be on the same breaker (although that wasn't the case in any of my attempts), so really the only way to know for sure is to test it.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Cable is cheap but the digging trenches and filling in afterwards would no doubt cost a fortune.
I think that first part might be obsolete. I'm running a new ~300 foot cable and found that the solid copper wire price is close to double from about a year ago. The big sticker shock was at Home Depot: $14.57 for 10 feet of sch 40 1" PVC pipe, and $8.50 for an 8 oz can of PVC primer.

NielK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Worth noting that Ubiquiti claims many of the newer Ubiquiti devices do now support 802.3af power as well as the legacy 24V passive POE, although there are still plenty that don't.

24V passive only includes ...
  • NanoStation M
  • NanoStation Loco M
  • NanoBeam M
  • NanonBeam AC
802.3af includes ...
  • NanoStation AC
  • NanoStation 5AC Loco
  • Most of the access points (eg. UAP-AC-*)

Ubiquiti link here:
I have 5 x UAP-AC-Lite APs running on 802.3af. (I still have a few 24v adapters lying around from previous NanoBeam links.)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, I replaced last week in a local Mexican restaurant a 6 yr. old UniFi AP-LR in the ceiling (was functional, just outdated) with a new TP-Link EAP225 V3 AC1350 Gigabit Wireless Access Point that works with either 802.3af or 24V Passive PoE (Passive PoE Adapter Included). Since the Ubiquiti passive 24VDC injector was in place and working I left the new TP-LINK passive 24VDC injector in the box and hooked it up after pre-configuring on the bench. Worked great!

The UBNT (Ubiquiti) I removed would function as a simple AP OK without a controller but needed a controller running on a PC to bring up a web page for restaurant patrons to log in or to establish the AP's hours of operation; the TP-LINK needs no cloud-based or PC-based controller to bring up a simple embeded web page or login and can schedule its hours of operation also with no cloud-based or PC-based controller. Maybe newer UBNT AP's can do that also, I don't know....haven't put in a UniFi AP in over 6 years.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty sure ethernet over power doesn't require both units being on the same side of the phase, though I think it helps to maximize throughput. Lots of things interfere with obtaining maximum speed, but for running a single camera one wouldn't need maximum speed.
Older ones can struggle and won't work well or at all on separate legs, the newer (2010) "G.hn" technology works well on separate legs but works even faster and more dependably on the same leg, I've read.

Cooltiger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just using the price of the Nano station, it's $247 (Aussie dollars). I would look at it from the point of how much would it cost you to run a cable to your garage? Cable is cheap but the digging trenches and filling in afterwards would no doubt cost a fortune. So, in comparison, $247 for the Nano Station v $1,000+ to lay a cable suddenly is not that expensive (that's how I would explain it to my other half).
I just got a price of Au$80 for Loco M2. 2 of these would be cheap and most reliable where cable can't be laid. I had EoP about 60feet to shed and only got about 20 Mb with Loco M2 now get same as house about 90Mb and no drop outs.
Au retail site Products | City Technology

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Was looking at Ubiquiti hardware when contemplating expanding my network 7 miles, but alas, line of site was complicated by trees and such. Might attempt something simpler first, like 700ft. I've already successfully linked a camera 500ft away using standard wifi 2.4 Ghz and an omnidirectional antenna. Would be even easier with a directional antenna.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Was looking at Ubiquiti hardware when contemplating expanding my network 7 miles, but alas, line of site was complicated by trees and such. Might attempt something simpler first, like 700ft. I've already successfully linked a camera 500ft away using standard wifi 2.4 Ghz and an omnidirectional antenna. Would be even easier with a directional antenna.
Not to mention the improved speed, bandwidth, dependability and range you'd get with 2 UBNT radios linked with their proprietary protocol as compared to "standard wifi 2.4 Ghz". :cool: