Power but no video to my HDW5231

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I recently noticed the video feed in BI had dropped for one of my HDW5231R-Z cameras. BI message just said, "No Signal".
At night the camera's IRs still turn on though so it is getting power through the CAT-5, just no video\data. I tested with another camera and same, then tested both at the desk with a different cable and they both work.
So what do you do when the CAT-5 cable has power but no video feed? Any way ti "fix" it? I say this just because it is going to be a pain to run a new cable to the same location.
I was thinking maybe I could cut off a short piece at the end where the camera connects and put on a new RJ terminal if that's what it is called, since I have a little slack to play with but I have never tried to make my own custom length cables so I do not have or know what the correct equipment would be to do that.
I did a little googling on the topic and it appears there are several different types of terminal connectors and cutting\splicing tools. Also saw some that say they are "quick connect" where toy just slide in the different wires into a connector and snap it shut or something like that...maybe made for novices like myself.

Any thoughts or recommendations how to handle and what to buy would be appreciated.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would recommend replacing the RJ-45 male at the camera end first, as you can inspect the connector for corrosion when you unplug it.
If you find corrosion, install and test a new male RJ-45 and clean the female on the cam's pigtail with DeoxIT D5 then follow this procedure for testing then weather-proofing the connection.

The quickest troubleshooting method would be to have a good patch cord or made-up Ethernet cable that you can bypass the current cable , as even a simple kink, twist or high resistance in the cable can render the video unusable (I have a 100 footer, a 75 footer and a male-to-male coupler for such).

I use a simple crimper and old fashioned male RJ-45's (with triple-tangs to pierce the insulation and maintain a good connection to the conductor) and a simple tester. Others prefer the pass-thru connectors.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, I started with inspecting and using electrical cleaner on the connector and the femal pigtail. I didn't really see any corrosion but I wire brushed it and sprayed again, But same results so cutting and adding a male connector is my next step.