Possibly Guy going thru mailboxes late at night - 3/2/21 ?

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
It seems like he was going thru mailboxes not sure. I wish I had a bit more clear footage. Also any recommendation on any settings for my PTZ seems like Auto Track did start but failed :( ..

I recently added a security motion light however seems like I cannot find a happy setting so it does not become to bright or too dark once it goes off.. any suggestion will be appreciated thank you always :)

My Current settings on ptz

1614710565417.png
1614710493558.png1614710498597.png1614710502316.png1614710506956.png1614710511891.png1614710592504.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have too big of a gain range so it is allowing it to bloom out when the security light comes on and off. Tighten it up to a smaller range.

You would be better running custom shutter at 0-16.66s so that the shutter will also go faster with more light to help that bloom as well.

Is IVS set for human and no min size?

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you so much Wittaj, I will try your recommendation also for the IVS rules This is what I have..

1614718598135.png1614718618826.png

These are is Deep IVS rules.

Also if I do say put the gain say 10-50 then what happens is when they walk away while auto track is on scene gets too dark.. Maybe I will try 40-90 range for gain ?

Reaction score
I had same issue with night time motion detection LED floodlight. A camera would look perfect for pictures and videos when floodlight was off at 3am. But then floodlight turned on and now the image was icky. In the end, I just leave floodlight on all night :)
Since you have PTZ and fixed cameras, are you using any of the fixed for spotter cams so that the PTZ could be in play for everything instead of just driveway?
If I wanted to go down the rabbit hole, I would use some Z-wave relay on the 110v LED lights that when motion was detected and turned on the lights, the z-wave relay would send a MQTT command to Home Assistant which in turn would somehow run the Dahua Sunrise/Sunset script which in turn would re-adjust image settings based on floodlight on or floodlight off. But that's just me :)

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
ould re-adjust image settings based on floodlig
Never have played with MQTT dont know how hard will that be to set that up. I do use dahua sunset/sunrise app though.

- I do have some dedicated cams for this as which still manage to capture when the guy was around my property.

However I am just trying to see if I can somehow make the auto track also work to a point when they are even walking away from property camera can adopt to the dark lighting conditions as the subject moves away from the house. Given that it has a pretty decent large sensor for it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will be checking tonight with these settings as per your recommendation @wittaj thank you!

View attachment 83807
If that doesn't work, see how tight you can bring the gain together - 90 seems high. I would try 20-60. I know each camera is different and location too, but if this is you 1/1.8" sensor I would try to let the sensor itself decide. Plus I think that high gain is why your camera focused on that light across the street and not that person. Dropping the brightness down from too much gain should help with with that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had same issue with night time motion detection LED floodlight. A camera would look perfect for pictures and videos when floodlight was off at 3am. But then floodlight turned on and now the image was icky. In the end, I just leave floodlight on all night :)
Since you have PTZ and fixed cameras, are you using any of the fixed for spotter cams so that the PTZ could be in play for everything instead of just driveway?
If I wanted to go down the rabbit hole, I would use some Z-wave relay on the 110v LED lights that when motion was detected and turned on the lights, the z-wave relay would send a MQTT command to Home Assistant which in turn would somehow run the Dahua Sunrise/Sunset script which in turn would re-adjust image settings based on floodlight on or floodlight off. But that's just me :)
Yeah, I have my floodlight come on for different brightness. 25% until 11pm, 50% until 12:30 and then 100% rest of night. That way it doesn't completely blind the neighbors lol.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
If that doesn't work, see how tight you can bring the gain together - 90 seems high. I would try 20-60. I know each camera is different and location too, but if this is you 1/1.8" sensor I would try to let the sensor itself decide. Plus I think that high gain is why your camera focused on that light across the street and not that person. Dropping the brightness down from too much gain should help with with that.
Thank you Only reason I have the gain high is when subject starts moving away from home it starts getting too dark. It is the 4/3 Sensor on this PTZ ...

Yeah, I have my floodlight come on for different brightness. 25% until 11pm, 50% until 12:30 and then 100% rest of night. That way it doesn't completely blind the neighbors lol.
Nice what light is this where you can have a setting like that ? By the way thank you for those tips will see how the results are tonight :D

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you Only reason I have the gain high is when subject starts moving away from home it starts getting too dark. It is the 4/3 Sensor on this PTZ ...

Nice what light is this where you can have a setting like that ? By the way thank you for those tips will see how the results are tonight :D
OK - lets revisit it tonight - hopefully the range of shutter self takes care of it. From what I saw it appeared your unit was ok with high gain.

I have these bulbs:

With this as the light switch that is programmable on an app or Alexa:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
OK - lets revisit it tonight - hopefully the range of shutter self takes care of it. From what I saw it appeared your unit was ok with high gain.

I have these bulbs:

With this as the light switch that is programmable on an app or Alexa:

Ah.. Nice I have Caseta thru out the house but the light outside dont have the bulb type fixture they are just motion led lights I thought there was a motion light which can do that nice though. Thank you!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh - yeah there probably is one that does that as well, but I had already had the flood lights with bulbs there so just removed the motion sensor and added that switch.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
My security light is on 50% until it senses motion and then it gradually goes up to 100%. My cameras seem to take this change of lighting in stride.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, my back light is 20% and then up to 100% with motion and the back cameras seem to be ok with it.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
So did try some settings and even try to see if I can find the right shutter speed so far seems like Gain is 90 a lot any lower when it starts tracking away from the house it looses. so not sure lol where I can set it..

1614786613350.png This is current for night now..

this is a video..

By the way also seems like this guys is up to no good coming for several nights now driving really slow by my house seems to be a laptop on him

As light comes on there are few bright spots.. I think by the walkway.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have an SD card in that cam that you could turn on the IVS lines and we can see what it is getting stuck on and not tracking.

I think it is an instance where it is too bright and not enough contrast and it is missing.

Normally AI of these cams are good, so it is a tweaking. I can tell you that with the blizzard we had here and all the snow on the ground and it was brighter out, it would get stuck on tracking and decide to track a pile of non-moving snow LOL. This was the first time with my PTZ that we had this amount of snow on the ground, but without snow mine was tracking darn 100%.

But I also know when I was dialing mine in, I had to also make it darker than I liked in order to get the tracking to work properly because it would get stuck on something else. I think that is what you are experiencing.

So it is a balance, do you want it to track properly within a certain range, or be able to be seen clearly far away? But if it isn't tracking to far away and loses tracking, then why so bright up close?

I have my general settings for a brighter image that I will kick it to when I am doing manual PTZing of things farther away.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you so much @wittaj for that idea. I have always overlooked this is a great way to troubleshoot.. So seems like it got stuck on the car parked on the driveway of my neighbor.

1614789738919.png

Also another thing is When I try to download from Camera SD card directly seems like after clicking download it says 100 % but I do not see file anywhere would you happen to know where that gets downloaded ? I am using IE with Plugin for this.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Post some screenshot of your IVS settings. It looks like you have too many and that is probably part of the problem.

And does that camera have a global configuration to calibrate the IVS AI.

Yeah, these cameras hide it. Mine is on C:\Users\WHATEVER YOUR USERNAME IS\webdownload\playbackrecord

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are the Rules I have for it..

1614790454727.png

1614790471429.png

1614790485941.png

1614790502396.png

1614790526056.png

1614790543398.png

1614790557896.png

1614790615113.png

Now some of the further one and Motor vehicle one only comes on for night from 9:45 to 6 in the morning for possible suspects checking car doors/mailboxes...

The motor vehicle on road one only comes on also around that time.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
So did try some settings and even try to see if I can find the right shutter speed so far seems like Gain is 90 a lot any lower when it starts tracking away from the house it looses. so not sure lol where I can set it..

View attachment 83884 This is current for night now..

this is a video..

By the way also seems like this guys is up to no good coming for several nights now driving really slow by my house seems to be a laptop on him

As light comes on there are few bright spots.. I think by the walkway.
Are you able to get the license plate number of the vehicle?