Possible Baby Monitor Setup?

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My wife and I were blessed with our first child on Wednesday. He came a few weeks early so i didn't have time to get all this taken care of, but here's what I was thinking.

I researched baby monitors for a good month and a half any didn't like the options.

I'm thinking about going with the Amcrest IP2M-841 ProHD 1080P (1920TVL) WiFi IP Security Camera, Black Amcrest IP2M-841 ProHD 1080P (1920TVL) WiFi IP Security Camera, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0145OQTPG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Tr00xbCX9YXR5

What I'd like from this camera is for mobile notifications for motion and sound. I believe the nest cam does this well and hoping this one would too. I also like this camera for its blue iris support when I expand house security in the future.

IP camera security makes me nervous so I was going to set up my raspberry pi to be a VPN.

What is everyone's opinion on the camera and my setup idea? Any tips and opinions are greatly appreciated. We should be taking him home tomorrow fingers crossed.

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My wife and I were blessed with our first child on Wednesday. He came a few weeks early so i didn't have time to get all this taken care of, but here's what I was thinking.

I researched baby monitors for a good month and a half any didn't like the options.

I'm thinking about going with the Amcrest IP2M-841 ProHD 1080P (1920TVL) WiFi IP Security Camera, Black Amcrest IP2M-841 ProHD 1080P (1920TVL) WiFi IP Security Camera, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0145OQTPG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Tr00xbCX9YXR5

What I'd like from this camera is for mobile notifications for motion and sound. I believe the nest cam does this well and hoping this one would too. I also like this camera for its blue iris support when I expand house security in the future.

IP camera security makes me nervous so I was going to set up my raspberry pi to be a VPN.

What is everyone's opinion on the camera and my setup idea? Any tips and opinions are greatly appreciated. We should be taking him home tomorrow fingers crossed.

Thanks.

Congrats on the new addition!

Good decision on the idea of a camera. I can't speak for this particular model tho so I can't help there.

Def go with the VPN. Given the sensitive nature of what it will be used for, def turn off any outgoing or inbound traffic to that particular camera from the router. Theres a lot of stuff out there of Russians hacking wifi baby cams and putting the stuff out there for the whole world to see. Wifi cameras provide little to no security.

If you're going to be using VPN and BI, you might wanna consider wiring it direct so it is more secure and doesn't put a strain on your wifi itself.

Also another suggestion since many people aren't fans here of Amcrest, Foscam, etc, consider a HikVision Cube. Two way audio, motion alerts and notifications.
https://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2432F-IW-Indoor-Camera-2-8mm/dp/B00JWCV9CU/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1473471422&sr=1-1&keywords=hikvision+cube

Has good night vision too.

Either way, goodluck and congrats again!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you. Actually the hikvision looks like the better option. I'll look into it some more. I do like the Poe aspect.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'll need a PoE switch or an injector but they are worth it in the long run. One wire and you're done. HikVision have a history of being reliable and a lot of people on here use their products and can provide additional support or trouble shooting if that's needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk