Ports not lighting up for 2 Hikvision cameras

Geneyus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I just got 3 Hikvision cameras installed using cat6 RJ45 cables off Amazon. The 75 ft cable works fine. I plugged the Hikvision camera into port #1 on the Hikvision NVR, and it came up after a short time. I've had 2 more Hikvision cameras plugged into the NVR with 50 ft and 100 ft cables, but these two cameras aren't showing up. I tried them in ports 2, 3, and 4, but only port #1 is lighting up. I haven't connected my NVR to a computer or my network or anything. I am planning on using it as an off-line DVR. The settings are on "Plug-and-play" since everything is the same brand, and that's what the manual recommends.

Any ideas? What are the odds that I have two bad cables?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried plugging the cameras that are not responding into port 1?

Geneyus

n3wb
Reaction score
I just plugged the working camera into port #3, and port #3 started blinking. The #3 camera that wasn't functioning did not light up in port #1. Sounds like the POE ports are working correctly, so it must be an issue with the cameras or cables.

Is there anything else to try in the settings or anything before deciding the cat6 cables are bad?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just plugged the working camera into port #3, and port #3 started blinking. The #3 camera that wasn't functioning did not light up in port #1. Sounds like the POE ports are working correctly, so it must be an issue with the cameras or cables.

Is there anything else to try in the settings or anything before deciding the cat6 cables are bad?
I would try a complete reset first..both on the cameras AND on the NVR.
Another thing to try is use a short known good cable to test...

Geneyus

n3wb
Reaction score
Good news! I got one of the two cameras working after inspecting the ends of the cables. There was a small crumb or speck stuck in one of the tiny metal tabs. I scraped it off with a knife, and it's working now. :D

One more to go.....

I will try hitting the reset button on the remaining camera tomorrow after work. I appreciate the replies.