Port forwarding stops

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What seems to be happening more often now is that my Blue Iris mobile app cannot locate the server. When I go into the blue Iris application I find that in the remote server section the server is not listed any more. I have started to find that when I remote into my router the port has been closed after I have opened it for port forwarding I have been using port 81, Should I be using something else? Why does this happen? Is this a service provider thing? Should I use my own router instead of the one provided by my service provider(Spectrum)? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Paul

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What seems to be happening more often now is that my Blue Iris mobile app cannot locate the server. When I go into the blue Iris application I find that in the remote server section the server is not listed any more. I have started to find that when I remote into my router the port has been closed after I have opened it for port forwarding I have been using port 81, Should I be using something else? Why does this happen? Is this a service provider thing? Should I use my own router instead of the one provided by my service provider(Spectrum)? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Paul
Can you post your configuration for port forwarding on your router?

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick responses guys. I am going to include some files for you to look at if it can shed some light on the problem. As you can see, when I remoted into my router the virtual server and trigger were still listed?

Attachments

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick responses guys. I am going to include some files for you to look at if it can shed some light on the problem. As you can see, when I remoted into my router the virtual server and trigger were still listed?
It looks like your are using UPnP, why not just manually port forward it?

If you don't know how just google the router model and port forwarding. Or post the model here and someone can help.

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought I needed to set up both to work. I have done the port forwarding as you can see in the virtual server and trigger pic. When my Blue iris mobile app stops I usually check the UPnP where I usually see that my Blue Iris server is no longer listed. This time I checked my router and seen that the server and triggers are still there but when I tested the port with "WhatsMyIP" the test result showed that the port was now closed.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I thought I needed to set up both to work. I have done the port forwarding as you can see in the virtual server and trigger pic. When my Blue iris mobile app stops I usually check the UPnP where I usually see that my Blue Iris server is no longer listed. This time I checked my router and seen that the server and triggers are still there but when I tested the port with "WhatsMyIP" the test result showed that the port was now closed.
And you are certain that your public IP address has not changed? You shouldn't need both UPnP and Port Forwarding. Either or should work fine. I believe Port Forwarding on your router is the Virtual Servers screenshot. As long as you have your LAN IP address of your blue iris server here it should be open. I would retry going through the config on blue iris and do not select anything about port forwarding just to see what happens?

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Will do. What port would you recommend other than 81? Or does it really matter?

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Will do. What port would you recommend other than 81? Or does it really matter?
I meant don't select anything about UPnP when you go through the remote setup again. I honestly use port 81 but you can use any port you desire. You can use one of the Dynamic and/or Private Ports 49152 through 65535 if you like, or any port number. Up to you. It will take longer for someone to find out what is running on that port but not necessarily more secure.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks looney2ns, this thread has a lot of support for upnp and port forwarding, which are both red carpets to a hacker. These days with OpenVPN, there's really no excuse to not use a VPN server at home to secure all remote access to your LAN. Doesn't have to be some gnarly server, just an Asus router will do (those are also easy to setup).