police visit my property because of my cameras

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone have police visit your house asking about your cameras and whether they can get a copy of the recordings? My house is in a city with a reputation for violent crime--a reputation that no longer fits. But occasionally very bad stuff happens and then the police start going to houses with visible security cameras asking if they can get a copy of the recordings. As anyone else experienced this? How do you feel about it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone have police visit your house asking about your cameras and whether they can get a copy of the recordings? My house is in a city with a reputation for violent crime--a reputation that no longer fits. But occasionally very bad stuff happens and then the police start going to houses with visible security cameras asking if they can get a copy of the recordings. As anyone else experienced this? How do you feel about it?
I have had this at my office. They were investigators from the county prosecutors office tracking a murder suspect. I was glad to provide it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Better to have a chance to catching something worth while to share, and a chance to determine if you want to share that ..

There are some videos I would be OK not sharing if asked, and others I would be very happy to share .. all depends

( example, if neighbor beat the pants off a catalytic convertor thief .. I'd not want to share that part .. )

Reaction score
I have had the police come and ask if I had any footage of such and such. If I had, I gave it to them. Did not see any reason not to. Of course, that all started AFTER I had contacted them about door checkers in the neighborhood, as some of my neighbors' cars had gotten hit. We have contract deputies that patrol the subdivision. One of them has been very interested in my system. She even told me that some of the detectives did not believe that the caps were not photoshopped since they were so good.

See these threads:

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I back the blue. Cops have a very tough job and need more support and appreciation from the general public. Like any profession, there are going to be some bad characters. But it is wrong to conclude that all cops are bad, just because there are some that are. Without the police, my neighborhood would be over run with crime.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was asked by the local PD if my cams caught anything about 8 years ago when a couple of sheds below me and closer to the lake got hit, mowers, tools, chain saws, etc. stolen. I couldn't help much, only had 2 cams then so I'm itchin' at another try.

I have a TP-LINK Kasa LED bulb at my side door at my driveway that turns on at dusk with blue, goes to green at 10PM, alternates between those 2 colors every 2 hours until it goes off at dawn, displays my support for LEO (blue) and our military (green).

Not too sure about displaying red for the volunteer fire dept., another old fart in the neighborhood may think I'm running a whore house.....:facepalm:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I was asked by the local PD if my cams caught anything about 8 years ago when a couple of sheds below me and closer to the lake got hit, mowers, tools, chain saws, etc. stolen. I couldn't help much, only had 2 cams then so I'm itchin' at another try.

I have a TP-LINK Kasa LED bulb at my side door at my driveway that turns on at dusk with blue, goes to green at 10PM, alternates between those 2 colors every 2 hours until it goes off at dawn, displays my support for LEO (blue) and our military (green).

Not too sure about displaying red for the volunteer fire dept., another old fart in the neighborhood may think I'm running a whore house.....:facepalm:
Roxxxzannnnnn.......

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They came to my house and asked about my old Door Bird. Asked it it could see cars on the street. It was crap.

Now, if they came I could give them license plates numbers without even any video...

My father had an office in a Brownstone with a parking lot on Beacon Street in Boston when the Marathon bombing happened. That all got taken-- and gladly. Fuck those guys.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My neighbor is a cop. He asked me if my cameras saw anything one night, because he had left a 6-pack of cola in his truck and it was gone. The thieves just happened to park directly across from my driveway, center frame of my camera. Unfortunately this was back when I only had 1 camera, and the zoom wasn't so great.

I exported the video to a USB stick an officer had. Happy to give them all the evidence I can gather.

Other neighbors told me they had a pair of sunglasses taken, or a Leatherman multitool. These dummies are wasting their lives taking nicknacks and spare change.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As many of you know, My 1st BI system was for a 74 unit Condo in St. Paul, with the Hoodrat housing right across the freeway.
It was just a hop, skip, and a jump to wander into our parking lot, and so we had Door Checkers at the cars, the 5 building doors, and the garage doors.
There were quite a handful events in the roughly 3 years the BI system was under my jurisdiction. ....so i had Police taking photos off the console scree, or having me email photos to them, and then finally they got an upload site going and they'd email me a link, Now my Nephew has that sector as a Ramsey Cty Sheriff.
Every crime will reveal a weakness in your system, Or as a newbie starting out, it sure did in my case.