Police Takedown

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That little action I caught on camera made it into the local paper. They just used a stock photo in their story, they don't have the good footage like we do here ;-)

Vernon police arrest two linked to stolen vehicle

Cash, drugs and weapons were seized from the vehicle spotted outside the 24th Avenue home

Cash, drugs and weapons were seized and two people were arrested after police spotted a stolen vehicle.

While patrolling a Vernon North Okanagan RCMP Downtown Enforcement Unit located a stolen vehicle parked outside a 24th Avenue home Monday, Feb. 1.

An officer watched two people leave a home and enter the vehicle which was stolen from a neighbouring community.

Police stopped the vehicle but the driver tried to get around police in an attempt to evade arrest.

The vehicle was blocked before it entered the roadway, in another attempt to escape, the vehicle became disabled.

A 27-year-old Vernon man, the driver, left the vehicle and ran on foot but was arrested shortly after without any further incident.

A woman, 36, from Vernon was arrested in the vehicle.

“The driver’s actions clearly showed that he was willing to put our officers and the public at risk in order to escape,” Vernon North Okanagan RCMP media relations officer Const. Chris Terleski said. “Thankfully, quick thinking and decisive action by our officers prevented any further risk to the public and resulted in a safe conclusion to the event.”

The two arrested face potential criminal charges and have both been released from custody.

Reaction score
The two arrested face potential criminal charges and have both been released from custody.
Argh! Released from custody after having 'cash, drugs and weapons' seized. So the fact that he had weapons does not tell the judge that he is a danger to society? It is the same here too. Really frosts my cranberry bogs to see that. They make a big deal about how guns are bad and they need to take them away from law abiding citizens, but capture a perp that is armed, it is just catch and release.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Argh! Released from custody after having 'cash, drugs and weapons' seized. So the fact that he had weapons does not tell the judge that he is a danger to society? It is the same here too. Really frosts my cranberry bogs to see that. They make a big deal about how guns are bad and they need to take them away from law abiding citizens, but capture a perp that is armed, it is just catch and release.
Oh yea, citizens are always complaining about how people get caught and just get released right away. The police risk their lives to catch the people, they must be mad as hell when the bad guys are processed and released before they are even done their shift!

It ticks me off and I'm not the one catching the guys just to have them released.

Talk about demoralizing for the police.

On the other hand, why do they let the drugs be sold out of that complex, for years, without doing anything about it. When you call to report drug activity out of that complex, they do not even return your call anymore.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't understand, they are not scared of criminals with guns. They are scared of regular law abiding citizens with guns, it gives them the shivers to think people can fight back

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
No, I am just running the $5 a month version. I get the plate and vehicle direction from OpenALPR, everything else I think I am doing myself.

Another thing I do that OpenALPR does not do well. Do not try and identify the make/model of vehicles after sunset. Clearly, they are never correct. My system checks what time sunrise & sunset are and will flag an image as taken during the night and not try to guess the make/model.

The police are well aware of my cameras & setup, they send me photos of vehicles from other camera systems around the city. For example, some red Ford pickup has been seen breaking into businesses. They have no plate info, but they have photos of the truck

They will send me the photo and ask if I can provide the plate number.

As a result of those requests, I came up with a 'mugshot mode' to view plates. For the above example, I would say show me all Ford pickups, red in color. The mugshot mode shows me all matches. When the vehicle is not a match, I just click a 'nope' button and that vehicle is removed from the list.

It is amazing how quickly you can narrow down the list and find the vehicle they are looking for.
Wow that is pretty amazing! I am guessing when you say show ford pickup red in color. the matches are against the database your camera camera spotted/collected? This sounds like a great system / software would love it if you can license for user or share.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The female cop that arrived in the silver Fusion wasn't ready for prime time: took her 15 seconds after she arrived to get out and put on her vest, which didn't get fastened in front...so all it did was ID her and somewhat protect her from the back, neither in front.

Apparently she wasn't expecting in advance to be part of the take down (let's hope).

Not railing against cops (God knows they have a tough job and I hate to imagine how it would be without them), just saying I hope that doesn't become her routine for whatever the reason. :blankstare: