Pointing a camera into the setting sun

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
At present I have a no name Chinese Grandstream knockoff camera pointed down my driveway. In the evening it's pointed directly into the setting sun. For an hour or so the image is washed out. The image at other times of the day are normal and as good as it can be, both color and image. The sun has not affected the camera at all in all these years.

This cam has been in continuous use for about 10 years and I've had zero problems with it. Quite amazing considering it's pedigree.

I'd like to replace it with an up to date camera with Starlight and a better image. I've got my eye on the IPC-T5442T-ZE. What I need to know before I proceed is will this camera be able to survive being pointed into the setting sun for a couple of hours a day without image degradation or other damage?

TIA

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A few of my cameras get heavy sunlight exposure, one in the morning on the east side of the house and the other in the yard facing west. They've both been up and running just fine for three years or so and both are in the Starvis family. Just anecdotal evidence, but evidence none the less. As with everything YMMV :)

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have the 5442 but I do have several other Starlight cams that are positioned in the same direction. No effect that I've seen after years of use. Other than being blinded during that time obviously.

Reaction score
I concur. I have a 5442 mounted as a pole as a weather cam catching the sun at noon to sunset with no ill affects since it's inception 4 months ago. It points in the direction of the sun, incoming weather (rain and 60mph wind gusts) and this will be it's first winter to deal with snow. Lens is still crystal clear and camera functions 100%. It more so angled upwards (I do not see the ground floor) and is in full color mode 24hours a day so can not speak of longevity of IR.