Point to Point Wireless Bridge Recomendations

dbjerke

n3wb
Reaction score
900's would have better vegetation penetration as long as its not extremely dense, as higher frequency has better bandwidth but lower vegetation penetration and lower the frequency, lower bandwidth but better penetration....but they'd likely be older, removed-from-service radios.

I'd perform a site survey and see what the noise floor is, if not a lot of ambient 2.4 GHz I'd try that using a higher power/higher sensitivity radio like the Nanostation M2 which is rated 23 dB minimum. BTW, just saw them in stock at Ubiquiti for $89 which will NOT last long if it is, in fact, in stock and at that price.
From experience what kind of distance would you expect out of the Nanostation M2? And do you need to pay for a monthly subscription with Ubiquity for those as well?

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A non-802.3AF POE device, in the case you cited is called the "PD", cannot communicate with a "PSE" device, which is this case is a 802.3af POE switch.
Therefore, the 802.3af POE switch will not supply power to the passively-powered 24VDC radio.

What do you mean by a "straight" POE switch?

BTW, good reading (yawn..) here ==>> Power Over Ethernet Wikipedia
By stright I meant right from the switch into the device. Without a need for an adapter of any kind. Like how a camera can be plugged in directly from a POE switch...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From experience what kind of distance would you expect out of the Nanostation M2?
With good LOS, low background noise and great alignment and setup? A mile or more.
And do you need to pay for a monthly subscription with Ubiquity for those as well?
There is no cloud, no subscription. You would own them, they're on your LAN.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
By stright I meant right from the switch into the device. Without a need for an adapter of any kind. Like how a camera can be plugged in directly from a POE switch...
So the answer to "...Isn't it similar to how a 802.3AF camera can work from a straight POE switch?"...is "Yes."
In particular, the device he mentioned can also, but not at the same time, be powered by a passive 24VDC POE injector which is not a 802.3af spec....

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Plug the motherfucker in on the inside at the fucking switch and run the cable outside, you dont need no outdoor version.

Reaction score
I have been using Mikrotik radios for point to point links for years. I have one on our farm that is around 2km away and has no LOS. Its LOS passes through about 10 metres of a hilltop. I was very surprised when I first set it up that it worked at all. The remote site is a solar powered system with a Dahua DH-SD29204UE-GN and also an OpenWRT wifi AP, just in case the cattle, kangaroos, feral pigs, crows, parrots, etc need wifi access. Do get some great captures from there. Line of sight is about where the red dot in the red circle is. When I first started to use Mikrotik around 12 years ago, they were much cheaper than anything else. Ubiquity work just as well, I believe.
My experience with Ubiquiti's and Mikrotik:
Ubiquiti's "used" to be our goto point to point. Nothing fancy, they just worked and affordable.
Until we had to shoot over a marina. Ubiquiti's wouldn't cut it. Tried 5 or 6 models. We tried Mikrotik, 100% worked. We now use Mikrotik for everything. I believe the reason is higher Hz signal which big time matters when going over water. Another really neat thing is that the Mikrotik's do not rely on your router IP scheme since they use their own between the two devices. I have yet to progam one but previous bossman said it was sooooo much easier to config than Ubiquiti's just for this reason alone.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another really neat thing is that the Mikrotik's do not rely on your router IP scheme since they use their own between the two devices.
Glad you got the positive results you wanted / needed and I don't fault anyone for sticking with what works.

FWIW, Ubiquiti's do NOT care about any subnet used as long as they are static and on the same subnet as each other...no router needed. Perhaps someone didn't configure them properly...just sayin'. I've set up at least a dozen links in 10 years, never an issue. :cool:

Last edited:

CQR-View

n3wb
Reaction score
I know, I know...don't use wireless for a camera setup. However I've got a 45m gap where running a cable is just impossible, so I will need to run a Point to Point Wireless bridge. Both Bridges will have POE capability fed from an NVR and a 110v POE adapter. Just looking for recommendations and any persona experieinces. I need to put up a camera at a far corner of the property..
FYI - Powering a wireless bridge Transciever from a the NVR Camera (PoE) Input Port is not recommended or possible. Most Transcievers are 24v Passive PoE which an NVR Camera Port does not provide.

If it is a single camera you are connecting via the Wireless Bridge, You can still connect the NVR end Transciever to the Camera Port but you will need the specified PoE Adapter recommended for the Transciever connected inbetween [Managed by the NVR NIC]
If multiple Cameras are connected to the Wireless Bridge may require you to connect the Bridge to the LAN & manually add the Cameras to the NVR Channel [Managed by the Network Router]
I know Hikvision NVR's will allow Multiple Cameras Connected through a Camera Input Port in this manner, and configured to the NVR Channels [NVR NIC], however i can not confirm the same with other manufacturer NVR's.

Hope this helps

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know, I know...don't use wireless for a camera setup. However I've got a 45m gap where running a cable is just impossible, so I will need to run a Point to Point Wireless bridge. Both Bridges will have POE capability fed from an NVR and a 110v POE adapter. Just looking for recommendations and any persona experieinces. I need to put up a camera at a far corner of the property..
I have 2 large apartment complexes with 4K cameras on a wireless Ubiquity bridge. Distance is 825 feet for 1 place and 600 feet at the other. The receiving end I have a 8 port POE switch with uplink and the uplink goes another 200 feet to another POE 8 port switch and there are 11 4K cameras on the far end using this and works fine

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While looking for outdoor POE switches I found some Chinese wireless bridges which do claim to be 802.3af/at PoE powered, so you could power them from any POE switch.

They aren't Ubiquiti or Mikrotik quality but might be good solution for short range use cases?
Any have experience with them?

Wi-Tek WI-CPE513P-KIT

EDIT: Could also use them as a POE pass through device, which would eliminate the need for a second POE adapter in single cam configurations:
1686907645091.png
Could be interesting if they work as advertised.

Last edited: