PoE wattage?

dm80

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a way to find out how much power the cameras draw over PoE? Looking at the product details and it never seems to list that info. For example: New Arriving IPC-T2431T-AS 4MP Starlight WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera PoE ,free DHL shipping - IP Cam Talk Store just lists this:
  • 12V DC/PoE power support

In the very early stages of a new network and camera system and trying to figure out how big o a PoE switch I need, and I am new to all of this. Is there a rule of thumb?

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here is a screenshot of what a video surveillance camera can consume. These cameras are connected to a switch. The cameras are Hikvisio Color-Vu. The first one in the list is 1440p and the other two are 4K.

1686999070517.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You really don't want to cheap out on your POE switch. Go with a POE+ so you have some extra power.

All switches are not the same. They each have a power budget and the cheap ones literally don't have enough power to provide power to every POE port.

For example you may by an 8 port switch that is rated at 55W.

POE is 15.4 watts and POE+ is 30 watts.

So if you run one POE camera, that is 30 watts of the 55 available, leaving 25 watts for the remaining 3 ports. Depending on the demand of your cameras, it may or may not be enough. Some cameras may use 12 watts at night with Infrared.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cool new POE++ tester TPS200C from Platium Tools.
Can be used inline to measure current draw from a device, and determine max power available from the source.

Easy-to-use, pocket-sized tester for all varieties of PoE - up to 56 volts and 280 watts of power. Powered by the PoE circuit, the TPS200C requires no batteries, and can be used inline with an actual PoE device to measure current flow, or by itself in Powered Device (PD) Simulation mode to determine the maximum power available from the PoE power source. Measures DC voltage from 3.5 to 56 volts, and power up to 280 watts; also tests up to 4-pair PoE (IEEE 802.3bt Type 3) Test power inline with a PoE device or use tester in Powered Device (PD) Simulation mode to test power before attaching a powered device Easy-to-read, bright, scrolling OLED display Test PoE on active data cables without interrupting data flow Automatic mode and polarity detection Tester features dual RJ45 ports for testing PoE and dual 2.1x5.5mm DC jacks for testing DC power supplies. Includes 2.1x5.5mm DC patch cable

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua NVR screen showing 7 cameras connected 45 watts. 5 are 4MP and 2 are 4K cameras.

#3 is a 5442 that is in IR mode as its dark as shit out withn a storm, and #7 is the mini-PTZ
Max I've seen is 64 watts total at night with 5 in IR mode and the 2 4K cams using the white LEDs

(*ignore the link quality, I'm convinced its bogus readings as all good cables, short runs, and if you turn on enhancement mode it just drops the connection to 10Mbps)
NVRPoESwitch-Camera=Poweroutput.jpg

Last edited:

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an older 3com OfficeConnect poe switch that maxes 30 watts per cable. 3Com sold to HP, but they're still called OfficeConnect. I also have a newer Trendnet TPE 1020ws, with similar specs. The 3Com has better firmware. You can see the IP addresses of all the connected devices and tell how many watts each thing draws. The Trendnet doesn't tell you those things.
My cameras draw between 2 and 6 watts.