POE Switch - Which of these is best for my setup?

cdogg44

n3wb
Reaction score
I am putting together a 5 camera system at home.

Current network is a pfSense firewal > 8 port VLAN capable switch > wifi AP for wireless

I plan to use an HP Elitedesk with Blue Iris and am looking to get an 8 port POE switch. I will run a cable from my current VLAN switch to the new POE switch powering the 5 cameras and networking the HP (5 cams + 1 HP + 1 incoming = 7 total ports used). I plan to VLAN this entire switch within pfSense for network segregation. As this time I do not plan on remote viewing BUT would like the option down the road.

Am I good so far?

The Wiki links to the following 8 port POE switch, T1500G-10PS for $130.

The TL-SG2210P is also $130 and has POE+ (not sure what that's worth).

The TL-SG1008MP is $100, has POE+, and has a total power budget of 126W.

Any recommendations?

Reaction score
I used a TL-SG1008MP when I first got into the POE camera hobby. Initially I had 4 cameras, and now have 9 with the plan of adding at least 3 more. It's an addiction, so starting with an 8-port POE+ switchis probably not a good idea for you. Especially, since you will be using 7 ports just starting out. Look at least for a 16-port POE+ switch to plan for expansion and possibly a PTZ that may require POE+. Just some thoughts from someone who has been down this path.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought a 16 port, PoE+, when I started. Now I'll be adding a second 16 port PoE+ switch. In some ways it is better to use more than one. Theory being that if one fails you don't lose all the cameras and can move critical ones onto the remaining working switch until a replacement arrives.

cdogg44

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, but I know where I'm heading with the 8 port switch. I'm looking for specific feedback on that.

Given my residence size, budget, and most importantly by surveillance plan an 8 port switch. And given their low cost, I'd rather save the money today and eat $100 down the road instead of paying more today for something I don't need.

Again, I know your comments have the best intentions, but I'm looking for the most recommended 8 port POE switch and confirmation my networking is correct.