PoE Switch Suggestions

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Teken obviously does thing's with a much BIGGER budget involved than most of us homeowners are working with.
His home automation setup he's described I'm sure cost's more than my house.

I agree with @sebastiantombs, my two 140 watt Netgear switches have severed me very well the past 4 years.
They are supporting my 5442, 8 watt drawing cams fine.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
And I'll disagree with my esteemed colleague teken on this. Someday, well into the future and long after those switches have reached the end of their life by component failure, individual cameras MAY need more than 100Mb/ps. For the foreseeable future, especially with a home surveillance system, 100Mb/ps is more than enough. I have two of the 16 port IPCamPower switches rack mounted and they are working fine and I expect them to be working just as well after I'm looking at the root side of the grass.

For that matter, who's to say that in the future some new, whizz bang, compression scheme will come along that reduces bandwidth requirements by a factor of ten? Anything is possible. Probability is the important point.
If the objective is to enter the market at the lowest price point while offering the best value - sure. As it relates to what I stated up above I'll stand by those remarks. It's not lost on me that everyone has varied needs and many just need something modest to use.

That doesn't mean you can't purchase hardware that incorporates some of the latest technology and features! :thumb:

In 2021 there are dozens and dozens of 1GB POE switches and if one looks around they can find managed switches at very reasonable prices. I'll readily admit I'm a little biased and jaded at times when I see people in the DIY crowd that will spend gobs of money say on a camera but everything else in the network is from 3rd tier vendor???

Literally millions of people are buying and installing CCA cable in every variety?!?!

The enthusiasts on this forum already know CCA cable is not only illegal to use within a wall cavity. But, go out of their way to educate their peers to avoid using the same! Is this because all of us are snobs or just some rich guy that has money pouring out of the sky???

No . . .

Because we know we must invest the proper amount of money into this critical piece of infrastructure and that's just the wiring to connect the hardware to everything else! Next, if we relate the same to a security camera every new member and existing member knows buying and installing a Arlow, Ring, Wayze, insert any WiFi / Cloud system is simply a bad idea for the hundreds of reasons as it relates to video security!

Video security over WiFi??? :facepalm:

Are we all snobs and so rich that we push all of the new members to purchase a hardwired solutions from the likes of Dahua / Hikvision???

No . . .

Because once again we are sharing our combined knowledge, personal experience, and long term use of technology that simply works without compromise!

Now, if we go back to the POE Switch I feel the point has been made . . .

As it relates to my other esteemed colleague @looney2ns I am humbled in your remarks about my Home Automation system. But, rest assured everything I've done took years to accomplish and none of it happened because I am rich, won the lottery, or received anything free. Like you more than likely I saved, waited, and purchased hardware on sale or gently used when the opportunity presented itself.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with so called 2nd Tier hardware from the likes of Netgear, TrendNet, etc. They make some of the best accessories and hardware in many application specific industries. I'll wager that Netgear switch wasn't a whole lot of money yet you purchased that over a 3rd tier switch??

Why???

It could be anything under the sun from proven name brand, warranty, safety rating, performance / features, etc.

I have a problem with a switch from a name brand vendor I really don't have to worry about them taking care of me. There's a new hack out that compromises something in the switch??? I'm pretty sure that name brand vendor will be working on a fix to patch it up.

3rd tier good luck . . .

Bottom line, there's a time to spend - there's a time to save - at the end of the day - pick one!

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with going with this switch before I purchase it?
I don't know anything specific about Aruba so can't say anything about it from a technical sense. My general comments are (1) Make sure it's not an older power hog, and (2) Consider fan noise if that's an issue in your setup. Compared to the cameras, wiring, and nvr, I consider the POE switch(es) as almost a nit, investment wise. If you're going to make one major mistake choosing, this would be where to make it. My ~$100 used cisco switch has been going flawlessly for a few years, and I would have considered it worth what it cost even if it had gone belly up after a year. Even though I don't need any new cameras I keep dribbling money to Andy :), and replacing the switch is a smaller hit than that.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Right now the best "Server room" that I have planned is the utility room with the furnace and water heater(I know, probably the worst place possible). It's fairly big so I will probably ask them to put in a wall or enclosure around part of the room to house the electronic equiptment.

Also I wanted to ask is Nelly's Surplus a legit site? Idk why but for some reason it just strikes me as one of those sites that lists items for way lower than msrp and doesn't ship out the item after you order it. Probably not the case but I'd figure I ask.

Also what is the difference between these two switches?

Hi @6010fd12

Utility Rooms can work .. IF the temp, humidity, dust, and power is properly controlled.

You may need to ensure this is a conditioned space to some degree .. heat is not need - just want to keep it from getting too hot or humid.

nelly's security is good, I've ordered from them in the past and they have a good reputation for customer service.

6010fd12

n3wb
Reaction score
(1) Make sure it's not an older power hog, and (2) Consider fan noise if that's an issue in your setup.
Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. I honestly forgotten about power draw of the unit itself. I'm going to do some more research on it. If anyone has any experience with a Aruba S2500-48P in terms of power draw. Do let me know.

Edit: just found this info
All S2500 P models have a 580W power supply as you noted. 400W is allocated for PoE function while 180W is allocated to system function. In truth, a 48 port model running all ports simultaneously will only get to around ~120W from the system allocation.
Is this worse or just about the same for most modern unit?

Hi @6010fd12

Utility Rooms can work .. IF the temp, humidity, dust, and power is properly controlled.

You may need to ensure this is a conditioned space to some degree .. heat is not need - just want to keep it from getting too hot or humid.

nelly's security is good, I've ordered from them in the past and they have a good reputation for customer service.
I have just asked my builders if we could put in a small closet in the utility room for networking equipment. I also asked if it to be a separate single zone for cooling. I hope it goes without a hitch :cool:

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. I honestly forgotten about power draw of the unit itself. I'm going to do some more research on it. If anyone has any experience with a Aruba S2500-48P in terms of power draw. Do let me know.

Edit: just found this info

Is this worse or just about the same for most modern unit?

I have just asked my builders if we could put in a small closet in the utility room for networking equipment. I also asked if it to be a separate single zone for cooling. I hope it goes without a hitch :cool:
HP Aruba switches .. the newer models ( say last 3-4 years ) I have looked at are all good in terms of quality and imho power use was acceptable when I have a lot of ports you need to use ( in 24 port or 48 port switch you don't want to have just running a couple of cameras and a laptop ;) ..

the issue of course is the fan noise and you will need ventilation ..

Reaction score
So to just add fuel to the fire...

My BI system has a dual NIC configuration. I have three POE switches that all ultimately feed into another POE switch that has non-POE ports. That switch has a single port/ethernet cable running back to the BI NIC. All of the switches have1Gbps ports.

That line is currently running at 138Mbps.

Am I wrong in thinking that if the final switch was only 10/100Mbps I would have a problem?

omarpr420

n3wb
Reaction score
I will recommend The HPE Aruba Instant on - I have use it for 2 years without a problem I currently use the POE + that's different from these one. These one is 195 watts. Also they have Lifetime warranty that is basically a insurance that you will be up and running without spending anything else.

that is just my opinion. Happy Holidays

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thought so.
As with anything especially with networking there must be headroom built in & planned for - not just for today - but for tomorrow. Video resolution will continue to increase as it has in the last ten years at a steady pace. Anyone who believes they can stream 16 4K camera feeds never mind 24 / 32 4K feeds 24.7.365 over a 10/100 switch let me.

One must plan for tomorrow within reason as it makes little sense buying 1990 - 2000 technology locked in at 10/100. If someone said to me I got this free - this is the only hardware available - Amazon doesn't ship here fine - Rock On. But in this case that isn't the problem and everyone can use the power of Internet sales to purchase a 1GB POE Switch that doesn't cost a whole lot never mind a managed one.

Compression technology was created in large part because there was a need to reduce bandwidth, file size, and transportation of the same over the Internet (NetFlix). The same was also needed to reduce the hardware requirements on computer systems not capable of rendering 2K, 4K, 8K, etc.

If people are still living in a VHS / Beta world and need only 320 / 720i - Rock On . . .

The rest of the world is moving forward and will require more bandwidth / throughput that a 10/100 switch is capable of handling.

Buy once - Cry once . . . :thumb:

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A 16 port 200 watt switch with 30w/port could just represent the max wattage budget allocated to each port, BUT the overall max is 200w. It's sneaky wording I think, and a bit shameful to dupe neophytes like that imo.

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A 16 port 200 watt switch with 30w/port could just represent the max wattage budget allocated to each port, BUT the overall max is 200w. It's sneaky wording I think, and a bit shameful to dupe neophytes like that imo.
Perhaps, but consider that many people will also use a switch for non-POE connections. I know I do. I have 15 ports supplying POE power and 14 ports which are data only. I think this is a common application for people using a larger (24 ports and higher) switch. For those who use multiple smaller switches, it is pretty easy to find a switch with a power supply which provides enough POE budget to power all the ports. Looking at the attached screenshot, you can see that Netgear offers various combinations of port and POE power configurations.

Switch POE Power Options.JPG

Example, I recently purchased an 8-port switch with a 62watt power supply. I could have purchased a higher power 123watt power supply, but I just do not need it, so why buy it and then pay for the additional electricity to operate it.

With a rack-mounted unit with an internal power supply, similar considerations apply. If the manufacturer builds a large switch (say 24 ports or larger) capable of delivering full 802.3at to every port, that would mean a POE power supply of 720 watts for 30 watts to 24 ports, plus the additional power supply necessary to operate the switch itself. Operating costs (electricity) for such a switch, even if modern and efficient componentry, will be substantial compared to a switch matched to the particular use case.

Something to consider . . . .

Last edited:

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I picked up the Netgear GS305EPP as my initial switch to begin my foray into all things IPC. So far it's more than adequate. Only a 5 port, and at 130W budget, more than enough .. I've never checked it's idling consumption. When the cameras outgrow it, I'll likely pick up one of it's bigger brothers above, and re-purpose this one.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Nelly's is REAL! I bought the 24 port POE "Garage Sale" item. It was here the next day no problems.
There was a minor crease in the top from a clown with a fork-lift.. It beats my Netgear 16 port.

9 Swann cams + 2.84K-X and a 5842m> 24 port POE >4 port 1Gig switch to Swann NVR + 5816 NVR + router.
I still have 1 link port open to who knows where next year?

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I picked up the Netgear GS305EPP as my initial switch to begin my foray into all things IPC. So far it's more than adequate. Only a 5 port, and at 130W budget, more than enough .. I've never checked it's idling consumption. When the cameras outgrow it, I'll likely pick up one of it's bigger brothers above, and re-purpose this one.
I am a fan of the Netgear Smart switch line-up. When I was looking for a 24-port model, it was at the height of the chip and supply chain shortages so none available. I ended up with a used enterprise Aruba switch for my primary switch (and am really happy with it), but I use the smaller Netgear switches for remote use. The Netgear Smart Switch line-up has a simple user interface and the features which are important to me, including: POE configuration per port, VLAN configuration, LAGG configuration, Cable Testing, Power Cycling per port, and to a lesser extent the QoS features. Even the enterprise Aruba switch lacks a couple of those and is significantly more difficult to configure.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If your pulling 16 home runs, to 1 closet with 1-16 port switch you already have a mathematical incongruity. line 17 would be PC, NIC1, line 18 would be PC NIC 2, so thats not good.
you may want to pull 6-7 cables to another meetup point, and 6-7 to yet another,
and select 2-3 of those Netgear fanless switches our lovely Assistant @NightLife is showing above.
then you can have less trunk lines running back to main closet.
Ju don't need no stinkink managed switch. if you dual NIC your BI machine your golden.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Perhaps, but consider that many people will also use a switch for non-POE connections. I know I do. I have 15 ports supplying POE power and 14 ports which are data only. I think this is a common application for people using a larger (24 ports and higher) switch. For those who use multiple smaller switches, it is pretty easy to find a switch with a power supply which provides enough POE budget to power all the ports. Looking at the attached screenshot, you can see that Netgear offers various combinations of port and POE power configurations.

View attachment 113790

Example, I recently purchased an 8-port switch with a 62watt power supply. I could have purchased a higher power 123watt power supply, but I just do not need it, so why buy it and then pay for the additional electricity to operate it.

With a rack-mounted unit with an internal power supply, similar considerations apply. If the manufacturer builds a large switch (say 24 ports or larger) capable of delivering full 802.3at to every port, that would mean a POE power supply of 720 watts for 30 watts to 24 ports, plus the additional power supply necessary to operate the switch itself. Operating costs (electricity) for such a switch, even if modern and efficient componentry, will be substantial compared to a switch matched to the particular use case.

Something to consider . . . .
I bought a 5 port 63W TP Link identical to the one above.

Yep I know it's only a starter one but with 1 camera and not much prospect of connecting more in the near future, I thought I was covered until I could afford better. The reason I chose it was because the 63w power budget shared between 5 ports was more useful than 63w shared between 8 ports. I know I should be able to get at least 4 cameras, maybe 5 on my switch before an upgrade is needed. Choose 8 port and you may struggle to get any more because whilst you have the port numbers, you don't have the power budget to power them necessarily depending on the camera draw.

The best buy is probably something around the £100 mark with a 16 channel or 24 channel and large power budget. However, it depends on your future needs. In my situation, I determined a starter switch for less than £30 offering me 4-5 usable ports was a good buy on the premise I know I may eventuially need an uprgrade but it's a long way off.

pm1961

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, lots of feedback here, but my tuppence worth is personal to me so pick or reject whatever chimes with your own situation.

I run an old (10 year) HP 2910al 48 port poe. It's old enterprise gear with 4 x 10Gb ports via add in modules. HP2910al Specs
In truth, the 24 port model would have done the job, but this was at the right price......... i.e. cheap!

To put my needs in context, I'm a home labber with a few servers hanging off this with 10Gb LAN.

CCTV/BI on a virtual machine is a significant part of this.

Con's
It's a one box solution - no redundancy.
It's rack sized
It's noisy
Abilities way beyond mine, and not very intuitive.
Power consumption? 89W at idle plus whatever you've plugged in.
Not a simple setup.... No default IP address to get going .... Console cable and some CLI.... GUI is underwhelming.

Pro's
It's a one box solution!
It's rack sized!
Abilities way beyond mine if I invest the time to learn.
Battleship build.
Price/performance/ability ratio is stellar.
Will serve my needs until it either breaks or there is a huge leap forward in networking.... which I can't see ATM.

Elsewhere, like others, I'm a big fan of the Netgear Prosafe range. If you have an existing setup and just want to add poe, you could do worse than add one of their 8 port models.
I have had one, and it did fail on me. However, their lifetime warranty service was fantastic and it was replaced within 3 days, hence the rec for Prosafe variants.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

6010fd12

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, lots of feedback here, but my tuppence worth is personal to me so pick or reject whatever chimes with your own situation.

I run an old (10 year) HP 2910al 48 port poe. It's old enterprise gear with 4 x 10Gb ports via add in modules. HP2910al Specs
In truth, the 24 port model would have done the job, but this was at the right price......... i.e. cheap!

To put my needs in context, I'm a home labber with a few servers hanging off this with 10Gb LAN.

CCTV/BI on a virtual machine is a significant part of this.

Con's
It's a one box solution - no redundancy.
It's rack sized
It's noisy
Abilities way beyond mine, and not very intuitive.
Power consumption? 89W at idle plus whatever you've plugged in.
Not a simple setup.... No default IP address to get going .... Console cable and some CLI.... GUI is underwhelming.

Pro's
It's a one box solution!
It's rack sized!
Abilities way beyond mine if I invest the time to learn.
Battleship build.
Price/performance/ability ratio is stellar.
Will serve my needs until it either breaks or there is a huge leap forward in networking.... which I can't see ATM.

Elsewhere, like others, I'm a big fan of the Netgear Prosafe range. If you have an existing setup and just want to add poe, you could do worse than add one of their 8 port models.
I have had one, and it did fail on me. However, their lifetime warranty service was fantastic and it was replaced within 3 days, hence the rec for Prosafe variants.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Thank you for the suggestion. I actually ended up going with an Aruba S2500-48P after a user mentioned it above. Seemed like a great switch for the price (just as you mentioned old enterprise switch) and I only paid $99 for it on ebay(tax included). I already found a video on YouTube that shows exactly how to setup the IP and web interface from a fresh factory wipe. I think this is my best option.

I do have one question though. I want to purchase one ptz camera. (Probably won't be this one since it's so expensive) but the specs mention that max watts is 36 which is more than the 30 watts per port that my switch allows. What are my options here?