PoE Switch Suggestion List

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@giomania

I have the Mikrotik CRS112-8P-4S-IN and I can confirm it works with the famous Dahua 5231E.

While browsing the Mikrotik site i've noticed the hEX PoE aka RB960PGS, with 4 passive PoE or af/at ports @ mode B (4,5+) (7,:cool: compatible devices, whatever this means.

If someone has this router please confirm that it works with standard af/at IP cams, so it can be added to the list.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I've just purchased this switch 8-Port Gigabit GREENnet PoE+ Switch - TRENDnet TPE-TG80g

Should be here in a few days, just need to decide on suitable cameras and get my Blue Iris server sorted and will report back on how I get on with it.
Quoting my own message, the damn seller cancelled my order, pretty strange as I put in a best offer which the seller accepted so not like I won it at a low price last minute? So I'm still on the lookout, have made another offer on another switch, so hopefully that might get accepted :)

sudo

n3wb
Reaction score
What's most bang for buck? I need at least 8 ports poe and another 8 non poe. Looking for reliability or a really good warranty. I had a linksys 16 port that I had for 4 years until it just let out the magic smoke...Disappointing.

gabe323

n3wb
Reaction score
What's most bang for buck? I need at least 8 ports poe and another 8 non poe. Looking for reliability or a really good warranty. I had a linksys 16 port that I had for 4 years until it just let out the magic smoke...Disappointing.
I've been running on this TP-Link 16 port poe+ switch since the weekend and it's been great. If you need PoE+ there's basically that unit, two others with a 230+ power budget that's overkill for me or a Ubiquiti for nearly $300. It has some smart features that you don't need to turn on but are there if needed so I just changed the device login info and forgot about them. I'm running one PoE+ PTZ and 4 other regular Poe cameras 24/7 with no issues yet. The only t downside is the fan but I have it in the garage on a rack so it doesn't bother me at all.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I went with 24 Port PoE Switches - Nelly's Security Nelly's provides great service and fast turnaround.
Description of the Nelly's 24 port switch states it can be used 'just on a desk'. How quiet is it? And is there an internal fan for cooling? With 250 watts of available POE+ power I would think it has an internal fan.

gabe323

n3wb
Reaction score
Description of the Nelly's 24 port switch states it can be used 'just on a desk'. How quiet is it? And is there an internal fan for cooling? With 250 watts of available POE+ power I would think it has an internal fan.
It says "Fanless Quiet Design" and since it's unmanaged it probably shouldn't need any extra cooling.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
unless you need that power budget because you are running several ptz cameras its way overpriced for an unmanaged 8 port switch.
Overpriced compared to what? Running 4-6 cams no PTZ.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Overpriced compared to what? Running 4-6 cams no PTZ.
Compared to an 8 port poe switch or even 8 port poe+ switch with a lower power budget available for 80 or less. Your 6 cameras will draw 18-40w.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Compared to an 8 port poe switch or even 8 port poe+ switch with a lower power budget available for 80 or less. Your 6 cameras will draw 18-40w.
Yes I figured but was looking for amazon link to check it out.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok it is "only" a $50 difference and gives option to add more cams with more features in the future. It is worth a little extra now.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok it is "only" a $50 difference and gives option to add more cams with more features in the future. It is worth a little extra now.
No its not. You can add more cameras to the other switches as well. You are tossing 50 bux in the toilet. Do you intend to add 2 HUGE ptz cameras that draw large amounts of power? No.