PoE Switch Suggestion List

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think he wants me to add it to the list. ;)

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
MikroTik has released their CRS112-8P-4S-IN PoE switch.
I am adding this to the list. If you are familiar with Mikrotik products, Is the below accurate for the comments? I have the sense that this may not be just plug and play like some of the other managed switches, so just want to note that in the comments, if applicable.

Uses Mikrotik's RouterOS, which includes many configuration options. The device is set up as a switch, with 192.168.88.1 as the management IP of the bridge interface, so may be used without configuration?

pcunite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Uses MikroTik's RouterOS, which includes many configuration options. The device is set up as a switch, with 192.168.88.1 as the management IP of the bridge interface, so may be used without configuration?
I've not used this switch yet, but yes, you can drop it into your network and it will be ready to go. You'll want to change the default IP scheme (192.168.88.x) to match your own, naturally.

There are two ways to set the IP. You can hook it up to your PC, setting your PC to be 192.168.88.2, and hit that IP from a web browser, or you can use their Winbox tool and find it via MAC address.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@giomania
Is there a PoE switch which doesn't rely on a power supply and can simply be powered off another PoE switch, provided sufficient wattage is available? Would probably serve as a great fail-safe measure if included power supply ever looses function.
I never saw one in my research.
They usually appear as PoE-powered switches, but can easily exceed anyone's budget
Needs to be usually connected from a PoE at-compliant switch to the uplink of the PoE-powered switch
I realized I have the below on my list as an "injector", and it is really a switch, right? It is a PoE switch which doesn't rely on a power supply and can simply be powered off another PoE switch. Specifically, it requires power from an 802.11at PoE+ switch, and provides 802.11af PoE power to up to four cameras.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0198H6EUK?tag=ipctk-20
Does this one, US-8,do what you wish? POE powered with 1 poe port.
Ubiquiti Networks - UniFi® Switch 8
Yes the Ubiquiti US-8 switch will do this:
The US-8 can be powered by 802.3af/at, 48V passive PoE, or the included power adapter.
When the US-8 is powered by 802.3at PoE or the included power supply, port 8 supports 48V (2-pair) PoE passthrough to deliver up to 12W of power.
The following table displays the PoE passthrough options for the US-8:

upload_2018-2-15_10-46-6.png

Please note this is a UniFi switch, and there does not appear to be an EdgeSwitch version of this.

Mark

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ray-zin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi. Quick question.

If I buy an unmanaged POE switch like the:
NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch, PoE/PoE+ 120W, Fanless, Rackmount, Plug-and-Play, ProSAFE Lifetime Protection (GS108PP)

It only has POE ports. Does that mean that 1 POE port gets used up for connection to my router or to another switch?
Is it "OK" to connect a non POE powered device like another router or switch to the POE port of another switch?

Thanks.
R.

Moose

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. Quick question.

If I buy an unmanaged POE switch like the:
NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch, PoE/PoE+ 120W, Fanless, Rackmount, Plug-and-Play, ProSAFE Lifetime Protection (GS108PP)

It only has POE ports. Does that mean that 1 POE port gets used up for connection to my router or to another switch?
Is it "OK" to connect a non POE powered device like another router or switch to the POE port of another switch?

Thanks.
R.
That’s correct, one port will need to lead to your router/switch. Each port is capable of either POE or non-POE. Whichever you plug in is how it will respond.

As most have said in earlier posts, buy a switch with the future in mind. I went with an 8 port and I’m already out of ports looking to expand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ray-zin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That’s correct, one port will need to lead to your router/switch. Each port is capable of either POE or non-POE. Whichever you plug in is how it will respond.

As most have said in earlier posts, buy a switch with the future in mind. I went with an 8 port and I’m already out of ports looking to expand.

Perfect thanks for the detail.
I was going to get an 8 port 4poe 4 normal. Then I thought wait that's the exact amount of POE i need to start. So I've doubled that. So I'll start with 8 for one side of the house then put another the other side later with another 8. - That should be enough for all my camera needs which is max 12. with 4 spare ports... hoping i've catered for the future including running the odd KVM etc.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
The Ethernet cable from the switch, can go to the router and from there to the PC, or has to go directly to the PC?

STGMavrick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm using the BV tech SW800G. 5 cams and running nice and cool. Can't beat the price and it's hard to mess up an unmanaged switch. It's routed through an unmanaged 24 port TP-Link (Whole house has cat6 ports) for now but will be switching that out with a managed 24 port to setup VLANs into a unifi firewall router.

Pedro Tera

n3wb
Reaction score
Any input Netgear GS724TPv2?
I want to try BI with a PoE switch first, but have the felxibility to move to an NVR, in case that doesn't work out for me...

Thanks

CBagz

n3wb
Reaction score
Glad I got them at $122!!! Yep the Amazon price is now $399. I was thinking that might have been a mistake.

The Amazon price is back to $196.01 debating on this switch but curious as to how loud it actually is.

Reaction score
The Amazon price is back to $196.01 debating on this switch but curious as to how loud it actually is.
It's pretty loud, even though it's in a well ventilated attic I can still hear the fan through the door! Also, just got a new PTZ with a power requirement of 22w with IR on, and this switch does not seem capable. Camera would constantly reboot. Even though I got mine also at $122 via Amazon, it's only good for cams with a low power requirement. Or any of the PTZ's with a lower power requirement. The 49225 I had on it, had no power issues.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So the price was too good to be true after all. I will have to add these caveats to the list.

Reaction score
So the price was too good to be true after all. I will have to add these caveats to the list.

Don't get me wrong, the V7 MPEG24 is fine for fixed focus and low end PTZ's. I have 7 camera's on it now, including the 49225. It works as advertised, but if you add something like a 59225 you may have a power issue. The power requirement of the 59225 is 23w with IR on, and for the PTZ1A225U-IRA-N it is 22w. Yet the 59225 comes with a 3 amp power brick and the PTZ1A225U-IRA-N includes a 4 amp power brick. I find that odd.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So either the switch or the camera are exceeding the 802.3at POE+ maximum port 25.5W power specification?

Reaction score
So either the switch or the camera are exceeding the 802.3at POE+ maximum port 25.5W power specification?

I believe the V7 Switch specs may be overrated. I connected the camera to my old TP-LINK POE+ switch and the camera has no problem. While connected to the V7, it was only drawing about 17000mw with no IR on yet. Well below the AT spec. And yes, I did make sure the max power for the port was enabled at 30000mw. The switch does not allow anything higher.

Last edited:

CBagz

n3wb
Reaction score
It's pretty loud, even though it's in a well ventilated attic I can still hear the fan through the door! Also, just got a new PTZ with a power requirement of 22w with IR on, and this switch does not seem capable. Camera would constantly reboot. Even though I got mine also at $122 via Amazon, it's only good for cams with a low power requirement. Or any of the PTZ's with a lower power requirement. The 49225 I had on it, had no power issues.
Thanks for the update regarding the noise as I'm in the process of building my system (which I'm sure I will be adding to down the road) and will look at other POE switches.