Poe switch requirements…

Jhonyquest97

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Holy crap.. can I get an idiots guide to what is recommended when getting a switch? It will power 8-10 cameras. I’ve spent the last two hours combing threads finding switch’s that aren’t available anymore. 10/100? Gigabyte? I’m going crosseyed…

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Haha! =) We've all been there!

Well, you don't really need more than 100mbit but it's hard to find a modern switch with only 10/100.
Before i had the lightning visiting a few weeks ago a ran 2 old 10/100 Cisco POE switches, loud as hell but cheap :)

Now, they are dead and replaced with Netgear gs116pp, I found it to be a good bang for the buck deal (at least in Europe)!
It has16 POE ports and offers POE+ (802.3at) that let's you power a lot of the bigger PTZ's.

Jhonyquest97

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Gotcha. I’m looked on eBay and it’s mainly in the uk right now. Not a huge issue cause I’m not in a rush. I guess the main thing is I would eventually like a ptz cam so I’ll have to look out for the 802.3

Jhonyquest97

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I found this one on Amazon and thought it looked good to get me started. I can always purchase a second switch right? The. If one goes bad at least I have some working cams?
NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged PoE Switch (GS108PP) - with 8 x PoE+ @ 123W Upgradeable

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Holy crap.. can I get an idiots guide to what is recommended when getting a switch? It will power 8-10 cameras. I’ve spent the last two hours combing threads finding switch’s that aren’t available anymore. 10/100? Gigabyte? I’m going crosseyed…
FYI - search the site, we should have a PoE switch guide someplace here .. many not have the newer switches.. but iirc it was good.

Jhonyquest97

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
FYI - search the site, we should have a PoE switch guide someplace here .. many not have the newer switches.. but iirc it was good.
I did see the giant list of switches but I didn’t really know what I was looking at. I need more of glossary I guess so I can understand differences etc. I think I’ve figure it out enough to get by at this point.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I found this one on Amazon and thought it looked good to get me started. I can always purchase a second switch right? The. If one goes bad at least I have some working cams?
NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged PoE Switch (GS108PP) - with 8 x PoE+ @ 123W Upgradeable
This look good. Often it's more cost efficient to take a bigger one at once. But, a benefit with several smaller ones is that youndont have to route all cable to the switch.

I have 2 bigger and several smaller switches around in my place. Another benefit with switches vs. routing cables from a POE-Nvr is that you can use the network for more than cameras.

One great (and tiny) switch to look at is the Dahua PFT1300, it's a POE powered switch with 1 in and 2 out. They are really handy to always stock home

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Some things to consider in hopes you get the best value, performance, and future proofing. Stick with name brands as you will see the stated power output on the specification sheet. At this time it makes little sense to purchase anything less than a POE+ switch.

16 channels is the lowest in terms of port count I would go. If you feel spendy go for a 24~48 port POE+ switch because there's room to grow and you spent your money once! When you move up past 16 ports almost all of these POE+ switches have a fan and some are louder than others. While others use PWM fans which ramp up and down based on the real world temperatures.

Meaning you're not inundated by fan noise . . .

This leads to any 1st tier hardware maker and should know and accept the vast majority sound like a jet plane! These same very reliable (yet cheaply had via eBay) also consume a huge amount of power. This is a core piece of hardware running 24.7.365 so energy consumption should be top of mind.

Especially if you live in a area where the KWH breaks $0.12 and over . . . :facepalm:

Many of the 1st tier Enterprise hardware incorporate SFP / SFP+ which is optical fiber ports. In the big picture its not needed but if you have long runs and want the extra performance that comes with fiber having these ports is needed. One of the huge advantages of using fiber is absolutely no impact from RFI / EMI. Allows long distances which assure consistent high speed 1GB / 10 GB transmission.

From a safety view point its one of the major corner stones in protecting the homes internal network infrastructure. So consider all of the above before you part with some hard earned green backs and purchase a 3rd tier piece of hardware that simply doesn't offer a known and predictable outcome.

Lastly, in the 16 ~ 48 port switches a 150 watts is the bare minimum and 250 / 500 is the sweet spot for years of growth and expansion.

Buy once - Cry Once . . .

Rock On :headbang:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been very happy with the Netgear POE+ switchs, never had an issue.
Yes, you can purchase a second switch. Some like to do that purposely for the reason mentioned.

Last edited:

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Netgear switch you are looking at, and yes, you can add a second switch to this switch if needed.