POE switch recommendations...

Springer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I hope this is not considered a hijack but I am also looking for suggestions on POE switches.
I have a few specific requirements:

Small footprint as it will live in a structured wiring box
8 port
Stackable so I can add another 8 port on top when needed
Fanless as it will be enclosed
Managed preferred
Gigabit
POE+

So my choices have drilled down to 2 models
Linksys LGS308P or the
Zyxel GS1900-10HP - switch - 8 ports - smart

The Zyxel has a SFP port but I think I would need to buy a transceiver at extra $$. They are not cheap.
Anyone experienced with either of these?

Thanks for your help.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hope this is not considered a hijack but I am also looking for suggestions on POE switches.
I have a few specific requirements:

Small footprint as it will live in a structured wiring box
8 port
Stackable so I can add another 8 port on top when needed
Fanless as it will be enclosed
Managed preferred
Gigabit
POE+

So my choices have drilled down to 2 models
Linksys LGS308P or the
Zyxel GS1900-10HP - switch - 8 ports - smart

The Zyxel has a SFP port but I think I would need to buy a transceiver at extra $$. They are not cheap.
Anyone experienced with either of these?

Thanks for your help.
Hit the link in my signature for more options that may or may not fit your requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I want to consolidate my computer network and camera switches into one, I currently have 16 cameras and 24 network ports throughout the house. What would someone say to the http://amzn.to/2ymZX7e

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I ended up purchasing a Cisco SG200-50P. 50 ports, 25 POE, all gigabit, for $250. I put the cameras on their own VLAN and the rest of the network on another.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a Cisco SRW248G4P 48 Port POE switch. It is a managed switch but I just used it plug and play. I have no had to mess with it or read oot or anything for over a year now so I can recommend it. They are $$$new but Just out of warranty businesses dump them on ebay cheap.
48 poe ports full 15W Each cost me under $60 bucks.
I don't have near enough stuff to plug into it but it leaves me with lots of future options.

LeeZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance, but can someone clarify whether or not I would need a PoE switch?

As I understand it, when PoE is enabled on my 2 Dahua IPC-HFW8232E-Z 2MP Starlight IR Bullet Network security cameras, only one cable is needed to both communicate to my Dell optiplex computer running software that records and displays video, and for the cameras to receive its electrical power, right?

So, if so, do I need a PoE switch between my computer and the cameras to facilitate this?

Thanks in advance.
Lee

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance, but can someone clarify whether or not I would need a PoE switch?

As I understand it, when PoE is enabled on my 2 Dahua IPC-HFW8232E-Z 2MP Starlight IR Bullet Network security cameras, only one cable is needed to both communicate to my Dell optiplex computer running software that records and displays video, and for the cameras to receive its electrical power, right?

So, if so, do I need a PoE switch between my computer and the cameras to facilitate this?

Thanks in advance.
Lee
Hi LeeZ,

There are several ways to power the camera.

To connect between the PC and the Camera the typical solution is to use a switch - and thus many of us prefer to use a PoE switch instead of a switch + separate power source for the camera.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What would you say is the cheapest and most cost-effective 8-port PoE switch?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I have seen folks right good things about the BV Tech switches here on Amazon

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes i suggest you buy fanless, i have 2 of the TP-Link TL-SG1008PE and they have fans and it gets kind of noise at times. I may have to replace mine to get my quietness in my office.