PoE Switch Question

Agasnine

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have decided to go with the Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS 3.6mm from Andy's Amazon store. I went with 1 to start so that get used to the system and verify the FoV will work for what I want, but plan on the initial setup to be 4 cameras. I will also be using BI.

Where I am stuck now is which PoE switch I should use. Even though I plan on the setup being 4 cameras, I already see myself falling ill with camera-itus and wanting more so I wanted to get an 8 port switch.
I found 2 that seem decent and was wondering if anyone had any input. One is gigabit, the other is not.

Amcrest 9-port PoE+
TP-Link TL-SG1210P

Thanks in advance!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Aquaman

n3wb
Reaction score
Most cameras I’ve seen have yet to come close to max’ing out a 10/100FE link, much less an 1GE link
For that matter, any 10/100 switch will work well for 4 cameras, maybe 8.

Stick with industry standard 802.3af/at compliant PoE switches as any 802.3af/at compliant camera work with them. I’ve seen some wonky passive PoE implementations. They’ll probably work.

I have an affinity for Netgear equipment..I’ve never had any issues with their PoE equipment. Just pay attention to the power draw on their PD-powered switches with PSE outputs. It’s annoying when power is toggled thinking there’s an overload condition when there isn’t

s5n

n3wb
Reaction score
+1 to power draw. Calculate your need when you max out your Switch. I have chosen a Netgear GS108PP and so far I am satisfied.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Stay away from low end PoE switches. They use marginal switching power supplies and struggle, or brick, when trying to come up under load. I bought a 16 port IPCamPower thinking it was more than enough ports. Now I'm buying another because I ran out of ports. It has a full transformer supply and can be bought through Nellys, I think, or here from the IPCT store. Not managed, but a very solid performer.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I looked at your two selections on Amazon. I did not check the POE wattage or voltage outputs. if your buying one or the other, The Tplink has
21,255 ratings & 624 answered questions and a 4.8 rating. VS> the Amcrest with only 90 ratings & 24 answered questions and a 4.2 rating. When you have questions,
you'll have a better time searching for answers on TP link. So for that reason, given the choices, Amcrest is out.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tech191

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm personally partial to Uniquiti gear but as it was already stated, stay away from cheap PoE switches (in general, not suggesting Neatgear makes bad or cheap gear) . A Unifi US-8-60 that can be found for $80-$90 would be a sufficient choice for your use case, even better if you can swing the 8-150 or the newer 8 port Lite 6. As another option, what I would suggest for consumer grade (cheaper) PoE switches, is not to use the switch for power injection but to purchase a separate 4 or 8 port (in your case) PoE injector to pair up with the switch. I did this for a few years before I moved over to Unifi and never had a problem. It removes some heat and stress from the switch itself. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have been using Netgear switches in my home network exclusively for over 10 years after I had issues with other brands. I currently have four Netgear POE switches running: GS305P, GS308P, JGS516PE v1, and an GS308PP for a total of 276 mx Watts POE and an additional four non-POE switches. Never had an issue with any of the Netgear switches.

Aquaman

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an assortment of Netgear PoE switches as well. Latest addition is a JGS524PE. It sounded like a hairblower until I swapped out the fan with a Noctua fan.