POE switch necessary in my scenario with POE NVR ?

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Scenario:
- There are 4 POE camera's (most likely 4MP Dahua's) close to the bedroom.
- The main router is in the bedroom.
- The POE NVR (most likely 8 channel) will be in the same bedroom as well (actually right beside the main router).

If a POE switch will be used, then this will have to be placed in the bedroom next to the router and NVR aswell (as all camera's are close to the bedroom and the attic is too hot for the switch).

Question:
I'm in doubt whether a POE switch is needed in this scenario.
Since a possible switch will be placed in the bedroom, that means all 4 network-cables will need to be wired straight to the bedroom.
In that case, isn't it more wise to plug the cables straight in the POE NVR (also located in the bedroom)?

Would this assumption also stand with a possible expansion of 3 camera's in the far future?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No you don't need poe switch... The nvr is pretty loud... You many not want it in the bedroom.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@randyth

You can always place your NVR anywhere you want in the home, just run a single network cable back to your router from the NVR for network access if you are concerned about noise.

Also as Fenderman stated - a POE switch is pointless if you have a POE NVR - not to mention if you think POE NVR's are loud you'll think a POE switch sounds like a jet plane depending on which one you get.

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you fenderman and zero-degrees.

Then my main concern now is...which (Dahua) POE NVR to get (for the four 4MP Dahua's).

If POE NVR's are too expensive, then maybe a non-POE NVR with POE switches is still the way to go...

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@randyth I can't answer that as I do not use Dahua NVR's I use HIKVision NVR's the 7608 or 7716 with the POE installed.

Last edited by a moderator:

LocoRob

n3wb
Reaction score
@randyth

You can always place your NVR anywhere you want in the home, just run a single network cable back to your router from the NVR for network access if you are concerned about noise.
If you did this, wouldn't you need a POE switch to power the individual cameras?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@LocoRob
If the NVR is a POE NVR that means it has a POE switch built in. All the cameras run back to the NVR and are powered from that point - no addtional POE switch is needed. You then are only connecting a single RJ45 cable back to your router to access the NVR and all the cameras....

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: