Poe switch inside junction box?

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can this switch be installed inside a junction box? Temps last week were in the 100s.this week is going to be 90 average.box is in direct sun.

TP-LINK 8-Port Fast Ethernet PoE Desktop Switch with 4 PoE Ports (TL-SF1008P) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Th6WxbD6CVYC6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm either I can move the junction box under the trees or make the hole underneath junction box then add a pc fan to blow out the warm air.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you need an inlet and an outlet, if you put one at the top and one at the bottom convection will do the rest passively.. thats why even passive devices (fanless) have vents in them..

take away the natural air circulation by sealing it up in a NMEA enclosure, and well it will overheat..

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why install in a junction box? Put the switch inside somewhere and run wires to the cams. If that isn't practical / possible more explanation would go a long way.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cam is going to be aimed at driveway.driveway has wood posts.there is a wall outlet on one of the posts.this is the only wY I can get power to the cams.unless I trench about 100ft to the house.which would be painful lol.lots of rocks heading towards the house.:)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
So, one cam mounted on a post in the driveway with PLA providing networking to the house and the cam powered with a 12v adapter plugged in the pole mounted outlet as well? No switch required unless you're mounting multiple cams out there, and a white junction box around the outlet with possibly some artificial shade should be sufficient.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cam is going to be aimed at driveway.driveway has wood posts.there is a wall outlet on one of the posts.this is the only wY I can get power to the cams.unless I trench about 100ft to the house.which would be painful lol.lots of rocks heading towards the house...
I'm confused. Again. dunce.gif

Unless the camera is WiFi you're going to have to trench the 100-feet to run Cat5e cable out to that camera...so why would you not put the POE switch in the house and then run POE over the Cat5e cable out 100-feet to the camera?

If you're thinking of using WiFi, forget it and man up with a shovel and some gloves...and don't forget to run two wires instead of one because you don't want to have to do it again!

Me thinks that @mando209 should break out the shovel and the gloves and dig early in the morning or late in the afternoon!

Last edited by a moderator:

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry left something out.ubiquiti antenna will be installed next to junction box.house already has the antenna.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry left something out.ubiquiti antenna will be installed next to junction box.house already has the antenna...
Aha! If only I'd known I would have spared you the shovel and gloves!

Actually, I'd do the shovel and gloves anyway as evidenced by my weekend attire...

q-shirt.jpg

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lol nice.:)

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.