PoE Switch in Attic

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a couple of HikVision dome cameras that I want to install in the garage. There is probably another camera that I want to install somewhere else later on. It's very difficult and risky (damaging existing cables) to pull more CAT cables to the closet where the switches are located. I do however have an unused Ethernet cable in the attic. So I am considering installing a PoE switch in the attic and connect the 2-3 cameras to that switch. Since the cameras are located in the garage, they will use IR a lot. I am in Northern CA so it doesn't get too cold, i.e. the cameras are probably not using any "keep warm" function, if they have it in the first place. My point is, those 2-3 cameras are probably not consuming a lot of wattage. Ambient temperature in the attic can go pretty high, though (never meassured it). Are there any recommendations (brand, model, where to mount, etc) for (4-port) PoE switches for such an application?

Btw, if the solution is a very expensive 'military grade' PoE switch then I probably will just go with something cheaper that I might have to replace every few years. The switch will be located right by the most convenient attic access so replacing the switch will be relatively easy.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Not too sure of your attic temps but I’m in the UK and I have my main cam switch in my loft where in summer it can heat up like a greenhouse, never measured the temps but a few minutes up there is enough to come out in a sweat.

I’ve always had my POE switch up there, had an 8+2 Trendnet and currently have a 24 port HP POE+ up there. The fans in the HP did ramp up so much that they could be heard in the middle of the night but I slightly reduced their speeds by adding a resistor in series to each fan.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an off the shelf no-name 5 port POE in a Garage thats been running a couple years. It's mounted up by the trusses in a unheated, un cooled garage...survived from -10F to + 100F, ( where the garage temps likely exceed outdoor temps by 10-15F in summer) I think it's an " unmanaged" flavor.
1707027325702.png

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the attic should be fine most situations.... but it really depends on how many ports you have plugged in. In my experience, if you buy a 8 port switch, use 4 ports. If you buy a 24 port switch, use 12 or 14 ports. At some point it looks like if you use all or more ports the life span conversely drops. I have gone through Netgear, BV, Yeune, TP, Dlink, And so far, they all have failed. SO I now run 3 switches with them each half loaded. The Yueny seams to work really good. The worst was the Netgear 16 port that ports would stop working. BV the power supply died, as others. So far 130watt for each switch with about half load is working good.

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
correction, I had the name wrong. Its "Yuanley", my experience is with the 24 port models with 2 uplink ports. They are about $120 for that many ports. But it looks like they have decent fans, and not underpowered.
Great to have uplink ports, as these you can use for TV or PC devices that just need a drop into a TV room, or what have you. You wont need a separate non-powered switch.
Avoid the BVtech as their psu are pretty crappy. Went through 3 models in less than 5 years. But, I did have them loaded more than 50%. Also on one the port didnt work.
Netgear is model specific. They have the enterprise overpriced models that are good, but the one I got, it was I think about 90 for 12ports, and that thing was garbage. Also they have a power brick, and I dont like those for my use. There is a Netgear 24 portwith 16POE ports, its $200 and is a good performer, if you have such a port need, Its one I would roll the dice on.

Oh, and all I mention do have rack mount wings, and once you get it all in, it is a pretty cool sight to see 100s of blinking lights dancing. :)

Last edited:

mteky2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am not there yet to have a rack yet. Yeah all the flashing lights would look cool. lol