POE security setup and cut cat6 cables

Ellisz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am doing a pretty basic POE camera and NVR setup for a family member in a new construction job. Before drywall was up someone got in the building and cut all of my Cat6 wires plus all of the wires for electric. I can re-run most of the lines but we had 4 cameras that had longer runs and went through conduit that will not be easy to re-run. Can I terminate the ends and add a coupler to re-connect to the wire ends? Do I need a POE switch to connect the ends? Just looking for the best possible solution to get working cameras.

Thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Sure, you can terminate and use couplers. Cameras are actually pretty forgiving. That said, I'd pull all new cable now and be done with it. It'll be less trouble now than once the house is finished. Better to have a solid system than a patchwork that introduces potential points of failure.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am doing a pretty basic POE camera and NVR setup for a family member in a new construction job. Before drywall was up someone got in the building and cut all of my Cat6 wires plus all of the wires for electric. I can re-run most of the lines but we had 4 cameras that had longer runs and went through conduit that will not be easy to re-run. Can I terminate the ends and add a coupler to re-connect to the wire ends? Do I need a POE switch to connect the ends? Just looking for the best possible solution to get working cameras.

Thanks
Hi Ellisz

hmmm.. first suspect: Sounds like an electrician did that.... ( first hand experience with some trade folks ... )

4 camera runs are not enough imho... run more cat6 runs... whomever cut your original runs may come back to do harm ( if not the electrician could be a local who does not want to see the house built .. eco-terrorist sort... )

Test your possible locations

Seriously run a lot more cat6 lines for all wired IP devices ... N+1 per location

You do not want splices and or couplers in-wall. In attic or in basement or in crawl space where you have access is ok imho, but not in wall.

Ellisz

n3wb
Reaction score
The electrician did this even though they had to re-do all of there wire too? That would be crazy. We have worked with this on before so hopefully not. They cut everything at the boxes, conduit, and panel and then took the wire. Cut alarm wire and hdmi's too. My plan is to put a medium size junction box and have any splices in it. The box will be in a unfinished room with the NVR and other equipment and will not be hidden, I will have to cut the conduit to expose my wires and set my box there. it is only 4 wires but they run to two buildings - ceiling to ground, underneath concrete, back up wall to ceiling, then repeat one more time. Basically does 2 big "U"'s.

I have 2 cat6 runs that were going to be HDMI extensions as well - so 4 cameras and 2 hdmi runs. Will putting RJ45's on and using a coupler be as good as anything? Was not sure if a POE switch would help with the signal or not. Was super pissed when I got there this morning and all my wires were gone. The cut everything in the walls but left a box of RG6 and cat5 that were mostly full.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you are using copper wire. NOT CCA, copper covered aluminum.

Do not know what type of neighborhood you live in but,
I have 3 cameras on the front door.
Two on the outside of the garage mounted no higher than the top of the door on each side of the door
one inside the garage pointing at the door.
cameras covering 100% of the front and back yards.

I have seven cameras inside the house, covering the public areas, (living room, kitchen, game room) , cameras cover all the doors inside.
If you have young children, cameras in there rooms.

Ellisz

n3wb
Reaction score
Box says solid CU. I am putting an 18 camera NVR so there are a few.

I have a 8 cam DVR at my house with 10 IP cams mixed in. Started out for watching my fish tanks when I was gone and then I just started adding more ;) I did my father in laws house and now this one(a family owned storage center addition). This will be my biggest one so I want to make sure it works when I am done. Everything was going pretty good until someone cut the wires.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The electrician did this even though they had to re-do all of there wire too? That would be crazy. ..
Just to be clear...

hmmm.. first suspect: Sounds like an electrician did that.... ( first hand experience with some trade folks ... )

Not:
The electrician did this even though they had to re-do all of there wire too? That would be crazy. ..

Did you hire a union electrician? or non-union job? - indeed this may not be the case for your job, but just seen quite a bit of underhanded sabotage in the trades - so I always inspect the work regularly. Again other suspects are locals who do not want to see the house up...

Ellisz

n3wb
Reaction score
This was a non-union job but we have used this electrician in the past - he wired my home a few years ago. We had been in the building the day before and they must have gotten in that night as when I got there the next morning, it was all gone. I don't do this for a living so I appreciate the info. We had two security companies that were contacted for bids and they never returned calls so I was asked to help out and purchased some equipment we have used in the past. Running cat6 is pretty easy in new construction so it was supposed to be pretty simple. :(

I have to go cut some conduit today and see what I can re-use and see if I have to pull new lines. 1st time we did it, there was no roof or ceilings and everything was wide open. Now there are roofs and ceilings. Much more difficult.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
if there is no opportunity to rewire, you may extend cable terminals using B-Connectors, filled with gel. Stripe each matching color (8 cables in total) terminals, then splice with the b-connector. To avoid cable pressure during the pulling process, tie both cat cables using nylon self-locking stip. Put vinyl tape around finished cables/connectors. I had used before for cameras, as well hdmi extenders, with no issues

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Obviously meth heads cut and took the wire to scrap out for money. They do this shit all the time. Your lucky they didn’t cut holes in the drywall to strip that also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also if you are going to pull new wire in conduit use some conduit lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hide a trail cam in the place until you get to lockdown stage. Maybe you'll see the culprit.
Depending on the stage the house is at, they might be able to put an NVR in and put a few cameras up.

Problem is, once a house is hit once, they know it will be watched much more carefully, so it's less likely to be hit again (although still possible, depends how dumb they are...).