Poe nvr system

mmark65

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new her and don't mean to hijack any threads...adm you are authorized to delete this when the need arises.
My question is is this for only one kind of system as in blue, or does it include other manufacturers as well.
I'm having trouble setting up my system I purchased from harbor freight.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm new her and don't mean to hijack any threads...adm you are authorized to delete this when the need arises.
My question is is this for only one kind of system as in blue, or does it include other manufacturers as well.
Welcome mmark65 ..

Harbor freight system .. DVR ? Or NVR ?

in general I recommend avoiding harbor freight for complex electronics ..

There are better options if you can afford it.

If you are super tight on budget, then sometimes one decent camera is a far better choice.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are a number of variants of power over ethernet and unfortunately, they aren't all compatible. Some use different voltages.
Functionality can also be more limited when adding cameras from a brand that's different from the NVR.

Model numbers or links to the products your talking about would be helpful. I don't recall seeing anything at harbor freight that wasn't a low quality BNC interface.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
Cameras and DVR/NVR's at HF are all analog (use BNC connectors) and are crappy at best, non-functional at worst....save your money, add some to it and purchase a name-brand NVR and compatible cameras

Continue to read here on IPCT to help determine your needs (number of cameras, focal length) and how you will implement.

Don't fall into the high megapixel trap ("ya gottta have 4K cameras"). The more megapixels (higher resolution) a camera has then the larger the camera's image sensor must be in order to produce viable images at night or under poor lighting, especially when there is motion. A 4K/8MP camera with a properly-sized sensor (1/1.2") can be VERY expensive. For starters, I recommend a 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor, such as this one ==>> EmpireTech 4MP 1/1.8" CMOS Ultra Low Light Starlight+ IR Turret AI IP Camera SMD 3.0,AcuPick,IP67,Support POE and ePOE,Built-in Mic,Vehicle and Human Detection,S3 Version IPC-T54IR-AS 2.8mm

It's a turret form factor (some say "eyeball") and is preferred over a bullet (OK for some apps like License Plate Reading) or a dome which is seldom recommended because the dome requires frequent cleaning due to smog, moisture and dust plus over time UV and ozone attacks the plastic dome making it foggy.

Quality, name brand POE cameras and POE NVR's employ wiring and operate on voltage that comply with a specification called 802.3af/at. CCTV devices from Harbor Freight, Zosi, Zmodo, funlux, Sannce and others do NOT comply and may use non-compliant voltage and wiring on their so-called "POE" devices.

Many IPCT members have come to trust and depend on Empire Tech's product line of IP cameras and NVR's from IPCT member @EMPIRETECANDY ....you'll get excellent products and superior customer service from Andy.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BTW, definitions and clarity of some terms:
  • "Blue Iris" is VMS (Video Management Software) one installs on a PC. It can interface with many makes and models of cameras, NVR's and DVR's. It essentially performs the function that a NVR would when it comes to storing videos and providing a means to view the cameras and the stored videos.
  • A "NVR" is a "Network Video Recorder" and works with IP cameras; a "DVR" (Digital Video Recorder") works with analog cameras; there are hybrids that work with both IP and analog cameras.
  • A "POE" (Power Over Ethernet) camera is an IP (network) camera that is powered over the network (Ethernet) cable. It can be powered by a POE switch, a POE injector or a POE NVR. Most IP cameras can also be powered by 12VDC on a separate connector instead of POE but the Ethernet cable is still required for video data if it's not a "wireless" camera. BTW, wireless cameras are generally not recommend for critical surveillance needs, OK for maybe pet watching.
  • An analog camera is connected generally to a twin-cable that consists of a coaxial cable for the video and a paired power cable of 12VDC for the camera. BNC connectors are employed at the back of the DVR. There are several versions these days of analog CCTV devices (HD-CVI, HD-TVI, HD-SDI and CVBS are the main ones) and compatibility between the cameras and DVR's of different manufacturers and models is not automatic.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @mmark65

What Harbor Freight kit did you get ?

mmark65

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome mmark65 ..

Harbor freight system .. DVR ? Or NVR ?

in general I recommend avoiding harbor freight for complex electronics ..

There are better options if you can afford it.

If you are super tight on budget, then sometimes one decent camera is a far better choice.
Thank you, yes money was tight and I had a stand alone connect to the TV until it went kaput.
I don't have home internet so I don't need that help..but, I recently lost audio on my camera and it said it has a siren? I have a mic port on back of the NVR.
So the problem is that it's mostly Chinese which alot of things come inland. I just can't make heads or tales out of the brief manual.
Btw: HF no longer carries that cobra brand.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Model 57648
1716746936058.png
So after a little digging, these appears to be the manuals:

If I had to guess, it probably is using normal 802.3af PoE and other cameras are likely to work connected to the NVR. The NVR appears to be somewhat higher quality than the cameras.

Obviously, someone else made this and it was just re-badged cobra. It reminds me a bit of Lorex or Swann (which are made by other chinese companies), but it could have been some other brand.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 195216
So after a little digging, these appears to be the manuals:

If I had to guess, it probably is using normal 802.3af PoE and other cameras are likely to work connected to the NVR. The NVR appears to be somewhat higher quality than the cameras.

Obviously, someone else made this and it was just re-badged cobra. It reminds me a bit of Lorex or Swann, but it could have been some other brand.
Looks like the OEM Swann is using ..

1716748452143.png

iirc I posted it some place here who I thought the OEM was ..