PoE Ip Camera recommendation for Outdoor use

chaosengine

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The problem with domes is the glass. The always needs to be protected from rain and often some of the IR light is getting reflected by the glass. Turrets and bullets don't have this glass dome and so the rain drops doesn't affect them.

gtj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The problem with domes is the glass. The always needs to be protected from rain and often some of the IR light is getting reflected by the glass. Turrets and bullets don't have this glass dome and so the rain drops doesn't affect them.
True that.
So the visor doesn't make any difference?
With my Amcrest IP3M-954E I could adjust it and there was definitely some difference especially during sunset time.

gtj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ummm, if you're thinking a turret is like a dome, you need to do some reading up. Sorry for being blunt :) LOL.
Visually they look alike. I know it's obviously the glass on the dome that's responsible for the water saturation but I've been stung and am very careful ever since ... ;)

Is this one a good option? 2.5 lens and looks like it is a newer model if I'm not mistaken?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have turrets and bullets mounted in direct weather and there's no problem with either. Keep in mind I'm talking a turret and not a dome. Any camera can end up with rain/snow on the lens when the wind is right if it's mounted in an exposed location. A turret is basically a dome without the dome and is just as vandal resistant. They don't "stick out" like a bullet and most people entering our property never even see them, and there are four different cameras as they come up the driveway or front lawn. I can't think of a thread here on IPCT that involves a camera being vandalized. That's a very rare problem in the home surveillance world.

chaosengine

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is this one a good option? 2.5 lens and looks like it is a newer model if I'm not mistaken?
no, go 5442, 5842, 7442, 7842 - 1/2.5"@8MP, sensor is too small for a good night time picture. 1/1.8"@ 8MP is marginally useful. 1/1.8"@4MP is current optimum.

4831: Min. Illumination 0.06Lux@F1.6
5431-Z: Min. Illumination 0.03Lux@F1.4
5442-Z: Min. Illumination 0.003Lux@F1.8
2231-Z: Min. Illumination 0.002 Lux@F1.5
3241-Z: Min. Illumination 0.002 Lux@F1.5
(Lower is better)

Reactions: gtj

gtj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have turrets and bullets mounted in direct weather and there's no problem with either. Keep in mind I'm talking a turret and not a dome. Any camera can end up with rain/snow on the lens when the wind is right if it's mounted in an exposed location. A turret is basically a dome without the dome and is just as vandal resistant. They don't "stick out" like a bullet and most people entering our property never even see them, and there are four different cameras as they come up the driveway or front lawn. I can't think of a thread here on IPCT that involves a camera being vandalized. That's a very rare problem in the home surveillance world.
That's reassuring. Thank you very much!

gtj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no, go 5442, 5842, 7442, 7842 - 1/2.5"@8MP, sensor is too small for a good night time picture. 1/1.8"@ 8MP is marginally useful. 1/1.8"@4MP is current optimum.

4831: Min. Illumination 0.06Lux@F1.6
5431-Z: Min. Illumination 0.03Lux@F1.4
5442-Z: Min. Illumination 0.003Lux@F1.8
2231-Z: Min. Illumination 0.002 Lux@F1.5
3241-Z: Min. Illumination 0.002 Lux@F1.5
(Lower is better)
Great insight.
So out of the bunch above the 3241-Z and 5431-Z are the better ones.

Thanks!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The lower the lux number the more sensitive the sensor. 0.002 is better by a factor of over ten compared to 0.03 and will provide much better low light performance. Did you read the Cliff Notes?

Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

Don't believe all the marketing hype no matter who makes the camera. Don't believe those nice night time captures they all use. Look for videos, with motion, to determine low light performance.

Read the reviews here, most include both still shots and video.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So out of the bunch above the 3241-Z and 5431-Z are the better ones.
No. Do not go by marketing numbers for Min Illumination. Really the best cam out there in the prosumer line is the 5442 series. They are 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor. The 3241 and 5431 are on smaller sensors.

Read the Cliff Notes. That is where you will get the basic info to make an informed decision.

Turrets and bullets have the same facing to the lens. A flat glass, that when mounted allows any water to run down by gravity. Either one will get some droplets on it from time to time. The hood of a bullet is marginally better at protecting the lens face for a normal rain, but when the rain is blowing, it will get on the lens face. If that is a problem with your turret, they do make rain hood for them and others here have made ones them selves. Do a search.

gtj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. You've been really helpful. It's been a good while since I did any research on ip cameras as I have had my Blue Iris server running the past 5 years with close to zero issues. Now that I have eventually had one of my cameras die, I was forced to refresh my knowledge.

I think I'll go for the 5442 series. Seems like the sweet spot in terms of value for money.