PoE extender and two cams on 1 wire

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm slow so I'd never had the opportunity to install one of these and use 2 cams on one wire.

I had a spot where I really needed 2 cams but only had one cable run there. So recently decided to try a PoE extender to run 2 cams off same wire.

I bought this, which is I think way overkill, but I like overkill.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CJBXMQTD?

Anyway it works!
*I found one issue though. When connecting to an NVR PoE port the two cams fought for the same port, even after assigning them separate static IPs on the 10.1.1.x internal switch.

So to resolve, I connected that one wire to an external switch that the NVR can see, assigned them both static LAN IPs (192.168.1.x) and it worked like a charm.

Very beefy unit, nice weather protected connections that were easy to use and I’ve got two cams working great off one wire.

IMG_6025.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes I still need to finish up getting the pigtail of the camera on the left up inside that junction box and sealing it up, but ran out of daylight

OR mebbe get a big ass junction box and stuff the extender and all inside of it.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm slow so I'd never had the opportunity to install one of these and use 2 cams on one wire.

I had a spot where I really needed 2 cams but only had one cable run there. So recently decided to try a PoE extender to run 2 cams off same wire.

Anyway it works!
*I found one issue though. When connecting to an NVR PoE port the two cams fought for the same port, even after assigning them separate static IPs on the 10.1.1.x internal switch.

So to resolve, I connected that one wire to an external switch that the NVR can see, assigned them both static LAN IPs (192.168.1.x) and it worked like a charm.

Very beefy unit, nice weather protected connections that were easy to use and I’ve got two cams working great off one wire.

IMG_6025.jpeg
Ya got a bigger image other than that thumbnail? :idk:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I had the same issue with the NVR port when I installed my first POE duplexer. Setting it to Bridge Mode in the settings fixed it.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Anyway it works!

IMG_6025.jpeg
Just a FYI for future reference. I just recently used one of these and they work great! A lot smaller footprint.
Obviously you'd need a poe switch on the other end as this isnt a poe extender though..

PXL_20240320_203446937.jpg

Last edited:

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another option is the below. With this you get 4 ports, port 1-3 POE+ 30W and port 4 being POE++ 60W. I just used this when I installed my new IPC-Color4K-T. The plan for port 4 is to use it for my SD5A425XA-HNR that I bought a while back.

1711811180534.jpeg
1711811255756.jpeg
1711811477478.jpeg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just a FYI for future reference. I just recently used one of these and they work great! A lot smaller footprint.
Obviously you'd need a poe switch on the other end as this isnt a poe extender though..

View attachment 191000
I've heard of several IPCT members that have had good results with this schema, including @wittaj .
But for readers of this thread just be aware that it takes 2 ports on your switch, 1 for each camera. :cool:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I have been using a couple of that one for years. And yes it does take two ports on the POE switch.

If your POE switch has the power budget but not the available ports, I use this one as well:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I was able to run them off one PoE port on the NVR, but kept getting IP conflicts on any kind of reboot. It powered them fine that way but they were always fighting for the same internal IP on the 10.1.1.x switch.
So I simply ran that cable to an external Netgear switch on the LAN and work fine as I was able to assign each a separate IP on the LAN.

Better would be using the splitter @rufunky mentioned at the NVR and connect to the two NVR ports I think

Last edited: