PoE 48VDC vs 12VDC?

Phlerb

n3wb
Reaction score
I am about to just with both feet into more more MORE!

I currently have 4 Foscam cameras (FI9804, FI8910W, and 2 FI9821W V2) they are working as intended, all wireless and I only have the 9804 going offline about once every 2 weeks, and it is easy to restart.

My Plans are to add a few Hikvision PoE camera's to the network for basement. I want good lowlight and a wider field of vision and not too expensive.. Just covering a door or 2 from the inside. 2 axis would be nice, don't need zoom.

I also would like to run a cable about 150' out to our barn and mount a PoE router there and attach 2-3 camera's out there eventually.

So, getting to my question. Locally on Craigslist there is a NetGear ProSafe FS728TP 24 port smart switch - But I can't tell if it is 48VDC. And does that matter? I am guessing it does, or can you configure it to put out the VDC you need? It is overkill right now, but the price is right... Or are there IP Cameras that you recommend that use 48 VDC?

Secondly, what do you recommend for the cable ends of a cat6 cable? I plan on moving all the Foscam's inside and replacing with PoE external cams and will be running alot of the cabling outside. The run to the barn will be underground, and the rest would be tacked to the side of the house.

Finally, what camera would you recommend for good sky timelapse? Right now I have actually a Logitech Quickcam PRO 9000 with the 'hubble fix' to make it not nearsighted, but the FoV is a bit smaller than I like and would like to have it show much more of the sky...

Thanks for assisting with all these questions I have.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want good low light capability then go with the 1.3mp versions of the hikvision cameras...not the 3mp..the 3mp is fine indoors or if you have some outside lighting..if its pitch black outside the image will be grainy unless you add more ir light.. understand the the hikvisions that folks are using here are NOT motorized pan tilt..you need to set it at installation-get a wide 2.8mm lens and it wont be an issue...consider the 2332 (if you are getting 3mp) or the 2312 (for 1.3mp) turrets ...
That switch will work fine it is 802.3af compliant...its probably very noisy though...if you will only have a few poe cams then just buy a 4 port poe switch for under 50 dollars...fanless.