Plugin for Linux to see live view remotely

Floyd G.

n3wb
Reaction score
When I log onto my nvr through a web browser I cannot see live view due to not having the pugin. I am using Ubuntu Linux on my remote machine. The software asks me install the plugin but it downloads an .exe file that I cannot use. Does anyone know what the plugin is?

Thank you,

Floyd

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The plugin is for Internet Explorer. Yeah we know LOL. Even in 2023 and even after IE no longer supported, it is still needed for many of these cameras.

It is what the browser needs to access the video and other settings on the camera.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess Hikvision is different. I can see live view from a Dahua NVR on both Brave and Firefox with a Mint distribution. Time-wise it's a bit laggy, but the video quality is good.

Last edited:

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One option to try is to use PlayOnLinux (Wine), install your .exe under it and use it's IE browser; just make an icon on Linux desktop to launch IE...

For more info, check out:

I'm using it with ThinkOrSwim to watch CNBC live while checking out stocks, the Linux version of ThinkOrSwim doesn't have CNBC live, as it requires mediaplayer. Tried installing H&R Block tax software, but it's a no-go under PlayOnLinux/Wine.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Haven't tried it lately, but when I tried running smartPSS under wine, it was a dismal failure.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
All new cams have specified that are plugin free, if you still need IE for camera stream, your camera is older serie.

New ones have specified liked this in their datasheet:

1711968597584.png