Please share your thoughts of AMD Ryzen 7 as CPU for dedicated security rig

soarwitheagles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I currently have an Intel i7-4770 serving as my CPU for our dedicated security computer running Blue Iris with 8 HD IP cameras. We would like to increase the number of cameras to 16-20. What are your thoughts on using the new AMD Ryzen 7 [4.0 GHz, 8 Cores/16 Threads] for the CPU?

Would the 8 Cores/16 Threads help run the increase in our number of cameras?

Or, would the Intel 4770K be enough to get the job done?

Please abstain from the Intel/AMD thread wars.

Just wondering if the extra cores and threads would make much of a difference when running 20 of the Hikvision 3MP cameras.

Please help us if you can!

Thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Terrible idea...No hardware acceleration... There is another thread discussing this..Why are you comparing it to a 4770k, there are newer Intel processors including kaby lake..amd will also be a power hog in comparison because it doesn't have onboard graphics...

soarwitheagles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Terrible idea...No hardware acceleration... There is another thread discussing this..Why are you comparing it to a 4770k, there are newer Intel processors including kaby lake..amd will also be a power hog in comparison because it doesn't have onboard graphics...
Fenderman, you rock! Thanks again for all the great advice over at cam-it.org!

Well, I presently have the 4770k that was working well in my dedicated Blue Iris security rig. Believe it or not, the Intel i7-4770k died on us. Intel was very gracious and sent me a free replacement but I have not yet fired it up. Yeah, been looking a lot at Kaby Lake...just wanting to find the best deal for the dollar now.

Well, would my 4770k work with 15-20 cameras?

Wasssssup?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman, you rock! Thanks again for all the great advice over at cam-it.org!

Well, I presently have the 4770k that was working well in my dedicated Blue Iris security rig. Believe it or not, the Intel i7-4770k died on us. Intel was very gracious and sent me a free replacement but I have not yet fired it up. Yeah, been looking a lot at Kaby Lake...just wanting to find the best deal for the dollar now.

Well, would my 4770k work with 15-20 cameras?

Wasssssup?
depending on the frame rate and resolution...

soarwitheagles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, for now, how about 10-12 of the Hikvision 2032's? Would that work? If I remember correctly, six cameras were barely reaching 35% of CPU workload...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, for now, how about 10-12 of the Hikvision 2032's? Would that work? If I remember correctly, six cameras were barely reaching 35% of CPU workload...
Easy..
Load should be 20-30 percent at 15fps
..Not sure why your load was so high..
And unless you already have the cams there are much better options than the 2032

soarwitheagles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Easy..
Load should be 20-30 percent at 15fps
..Not sure why your load was so high..
And unless you already have the cams there are much better options than the 2032
Fender, I have not purchased all the cameras yet. I did pick up a phenomenal deal on the Costco package with a DVR and 4 cameras a few months back...but it is still new in the box and I should be able to return it. I was told this package was rebranded Hik's I think.

I also noticed most of the Hikvision 2032's have actually increased in price since I last purchased them a couple of years ago!

So, what is your recommendation?

Please help me out!