Please recommend IR lamp for exterior driveway and backyard

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can someone recommend (on Amazon) what they are using for IR illuminators to supplement their Dahua IP cameras?

I am mounting a few 4K cameras and due to darkness, I want to be able to supplement them with more higher powered IR.

I like to keep costs down maybe $20-40 max if possible.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are recommendations in the Cliff Notes.

The IP Cam Talk ‘Cliff Notes’ is a document containing a lot of collective wisdom, and is incorporated into the IP Cam Talk Wiki

To access it via IPCamTalk.com, find the horizontal blue navigation bar at the top of any page, and select "Wiki", then in the "Everything Else" category, and then click on "IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes.

Here is a direct link: IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes | IP Cam Talk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm currently testing this one and it's doing alright.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dmiller

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have this one, which is well made. It's appropriate for more distant shots. It's probably in the 24 watt range. It's best for a high camera.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F9LF7E/

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have this one, which is well made. It's appropriate for more distant shots. It's probably in the 24 watt range. It's best for a high camera.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F9LF7E/
I would stay away from the high count low power IR LEDs. Power hogs and reliability issues just due to part count. Stay w/ the higher power low count (qty 4) IR LED illuminators.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
<Moved post to hardware>

Does anyone have a good feel for the light output per LED at some useful distance as it relates to camera shutter speed? I am not sure that LUX is a good measure at 850nm, as i expect that the camera is way more sensitive to 850nm than to visible light of the same lux rating (just a guess), but a LUX meter is what i have so there is that. What i was thinking is this: does one 1W LED produce about the equivalent of a 100LUX LED bulb (or that amount of sun) at say 25 ft from a camera (assume a Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)) if both are in B&W mode? Has anyone done any crude comparing of this?

It would be nice to have a rough feel for how fast the shutter/low the gain can be for a given amount of IR, to decide what to buy. I have a couple of large (very dark at night) indoor spaces, and was thinking about options.

Note: One nice thing about external IR light is that it is off angle from the camera, thus increasing the depth of field and reducing the hot spot glare.

p.s. I did not mean to hijack this thread. I can start a new one if that is better. This post got me thinking about this again...

Last edited: