Please help!! Noob just purchased and need setup help

Reaction score
I just purchased the turret camera that nayr reviewed (IPC-HDW5231R-Z). This is my first IP camera. I take the camera out of the box, hook it up to my POE switch and the POE switch is connected to another non-POE unmanaged switch. Nothing. So I disconnect from the non-POE switch and connect the POE switch directly to the router and the camera works immediately.

I start using the config tool and it pops up, I can see video and everything is great. I can login to the camera with the net interface and the camera shows up on my network. I come back the next day and can't find it anywhere and the config tool says no devices are found. What have I done wrong?

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did dhcp sign a new IP address ? Make sure you reserve all your IP adderss in your router? Did you restart router/camera?

Reaction score
I don't know if it asssigned a new IP address. How do I tell? I have rebooted router. I do not know how to reboot the camera

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know if it asssigned a new IP address. How do I tell? I have rebooted router. I do not know how to reboot the camera

If you restarted your router most likely your router assigned your camera a new IP adderss that's why you can't find it. What router do you have ? Do you know how to login to your router? Most likely you type 192.168.1.1 in your browser and can log in to your router.

Reaction score
I can log in to my router just fine. I'm trying to find the factory reset button inside the camera. I found one button and pressed and held it for 10 seconds but that didn't help either. I am very lost.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can log in to my router just fine. I'm trying to find the factory reset button inside the camera. I found one button and pressed and held it for 10 seconds but that didn't help either. I am very lost.
you DONT need to factory reset the camera...you need to find the cameras ip address.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you DONT need to factory reset the camera...you need to find the cameras ip address.

As fenderman said you don't need to reset anything . Log into your router, find where it shows the connected LAN devices, one of those will be the ip of your camera. It's very easy to find the ip adderss of your devices, just remember to reserve them in your router so they never change, and you don't have to go through this again.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wouldnt it be easier to just assign a static ip to the cam? Run sadp tool or angry IP scanner, log into cam, set static ip, and done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wouldnt it be easier to just assign a static ip to the cam? Run sadp tool or angry IP scanner, log into cam, set static ip, and done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
note this is a dahua camera, sadp wont work..yes that is what he needs to do..but a static ip should be assigned outside the dhcp range or simply use dhcp reservation.

Reaction score
I think I realize now that I should have reserved an IP address for the camera in the router. I could see where the IP address had changed and I didn't know what it was. However, the Dahua config tool software should still be able to detect the camera and it's not. I'm concerned if the router is able to see my 2nd switch (POE switch). My primary switch for my home network is an old unmanaged switch that is not POE. I bought a second switch that is POE just for my cameras. I built my house 2 years ago and ran Cat6 everywhere in my house so most of my network consists of wired connections. I figure something screwy is going on with my router/switch relationship but what I don't understand is why the Dahua software cannot detect the camera anymore.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
If You have a laptop plug it into your POE switch and run the config tool. It will find it if its hooked up to that subnet of your network. This will bypass the other switch. If you can see it Great. THEN go back to the other switch do the same and you still should be able to see it. If you cannot than you have other issues. When you can log into your camera as fenderman said..set a static IP and make sure you create a second administrator account on that camera for backup. Make sure all your passwords are strong and not the defaults.